Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > One can be better than none...CSX K676 CN

Date: 08/06/20 18:17
One can be better than none...CSX K676 CN
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Switched days off with one of our PRN dispatchers so I had today off instead of tomorrow. Tried to get up for the NS 24Z with the NS 8102 PRR leading thru my area of Ohio but I did not accomplish that as sleep won out: work has been kicking my butt as of late. I did get notice of a CSX K676 with a CN leader though. Only train of the day but was worth the ride.  I headed to an overpass just off of Tallmadge Avenue and waited. Sun played hide and seek but it was nice to just get out. The business to the left with rail access used to be AJ Schulman Plastics but it is under new ownership and I cannot recall the name. The access road to the right in the third picture is the former PRR right of way that ran from Hudson to Akron.  Thanks for looking...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/20 20:11 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 08/06/20 18:33
Re: One can be better than none...CSX K676 CN

NS 1067 from about two weeks ago on a NS 20T at Alliance, Ohio. Been eight years since the Heritage Locomotives were made but it seems as though the EMD ones are the ones showing the most wear. Have a good upcoming weekend all...

Date: 08/06/20 19:40
Author: krm152

#5752 and #1067 are very nice catches.
Thanks for your posting.
ALLEN

Date: 08/07/20 06:15
Author: borg

Very nice photograph but Where is it?

Date: 08/07/20 06:22
Author: chrisbutts

The website for A Schulman now points to LyondellBasell.    Feel like that facility has been around forever, having seen pics there since the 1970s.   Cool spot and photo.

Date: 08/07/20 06:51
Author: cornerfieldhobby

Great catches!! My favorite photo is 3. Fantastic photo quality.

Date: 08/07/20 07:14
Author: SP8595

Nice series!

Date: 08/07/20 08:46

Akron, Ohio just down from Tallmadge, Avenue.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/07/20 09:00
Author: bluesboyst

I wonder with PSR if NS will repaint the heritage fleet...

Date: 08/07/20 14:04
Author: shadetree

Eventually,  they will.

Eng.Shadetree

Date: 08/07/20 16:56
Author: train513

Is Tallmadge Avenue in Akron the thoroughfare that crosses over the old street intersection underneath ?  That intersection was bisected diagonally by the old B&O mainline coming up the grade from what was Akron Junction and AY Tower .  The street intersection was known as "Bettes's Corners" , and it required a crossing watchman .  To this 13-year-old , it seemed like a very broad crossroads , and when the chunky old watchman  stepped out to stop traffic due to an approaching train , it amazed me that auto drivers even saw him and his STOP sign !  Down the grade to the West was a railroad reference point called "BD Tower".  I never walked the tracks to find out if a tower existed there , though .  I always rode my bike on the surface street to get as close as possible to AY Tower , and then I think I rode up a dirt road to get to AY  .  One of the operators , Mitch , was very friendly and informative , and I left with a PRR Employee Timecard in my pocket !  Sixty-three years ago !  Those WERE the days !

Date: 08/07/20 17:34

The picture was taken from Home Avenue; Tallmadge Avenue is just off to my left about couple hundred feet. The former Pennsy ran along the former B&O here. I do believe "Bettes Corners" is the name that was used due to the confluence of all the streets that crossed here. Trains coming east will call out the following; Barberton (Lambert), Exchange, where the former Erie RR yard use to be, AY, BD, then up the hill past me. You bring up a lot of memories when quite a few railroads ran thru here.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/20 17:46 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 08/07/20 18:52
Author: train513

I used to hang out at XN "Tower" in Cuyahoga Falls , near the Lawson's Milk plant .  It wasn't a tower , but a low wooden structure that was so very cozy in the winter , and it had the friendliest operators !

Date: 08/09/20 15:25
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds