Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > TVRM freight?

Date: 08/09/20 08:12
TVRM freight?
Author: Roadbed

Yesterday had the pleasure of riding the newly reopened TVRM dinner train near Chattanooga, TN. Excellent trip, safely socially distanced, and good food.

That said, I noticed an active freight customer on their line. Does the museum handle revenue freight to help cover costs, or is that another short line?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/20 08:19 by Roadbed.

Date: 08/09/20 09:14
Re: TVRM freight?
Author: ts1457

Roadbed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That said, I noticed an active freight customer on
> their line. Does the museum handle revenue
> freight to help cover costs, or is that another
> short line?

TVRM actually has a subsidiary, Tyner Terminal, which switches the Volkswagen Plant in the Enterprise South Industrial Park.

I am not sure who switches the "online" customer, TVRM itself or TT.

Date: 08/09/20 09:56
Author: MattW

I believe TVRM handles freight on their East Chattanooga line (for lack of a better term) there is a picture floating around of one of the steam locomotives (4501 I think) handling a boxcar from one of the industries. They aren't quite like Strasburg, but they do seem to be growing the local freight a little bit.

Date: 08/09/20 10:20
Author: ShortlinesUSA

They do indeed handle freight.  Tyner Terminal works the VW assembly plant, ADM, and other customers in the Enterprise South business park.

The East Chattanooga Belt Railway works a few customers along the TVRM excursion lines. 

The active customers are one right at the Grand Junction station (gets high cube boxcars), M&M Industries on Holtzclaw Avenue (makes plastic buckets), and possibly Allied Metals just west of Grand Junction (looked like they were putting in a siding there last time I was by).

I just FINALLY caught the ECBT working a little over a week ago after living in Chattanooga for 6 years.  There has been very little freight outside of those high cubes at Grand Junction.  M&M started getting service in 2018, and that finds the ECBT crew coming all the way across the Belt to get cars from NS local AC01 in East Chattanooga, and then take them to M&M.  From the dinner train, M&M is likely what you saw.  It is right across from the National Cemetery at Holtzclaw and Main St.

I'd say this move happens maybe once a week on average on no particular schedule, other than likely a weekday morning.

Here is a grab shot I took of the move I caught on July 31, 2020.  The bulk of my shots are on film, still in the camera.  I couldn't have asked for better power, at least for my likes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133436477@N08/50203757338/in/dateposted-public/

Mike Derrick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/20 10:31 by ShortlinesUSA.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0345 seconds