Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > rail traffic in Greenville OH

Date: 09/06/20 11:56
rail traffic in Greenville OH
Author: colehour

I've just moved to the vicinity of Greenville OH and am wondering about traffic on CSX and RJ Corman. What would be good times to catch a train on either of these railroads? 

Date: 09/06/20 17:34
Re: rail traffic in Greenville OH
Author: farmer

Anyone feel to correct me. CSX at Ansonia I would say 12-15 a day on average. About the only guarantee would be Q008 anytime after sunrise in the morning.
Corman runs as needed to mainly serve the ethanol plant as needed.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/07/20 03:56

Thanks for the information. I'm going to try to monitor the frequencies, but I may be out of range here near Celina. 

Date: 09/07/20 04:51
Author: howeld

You may pick up the detector at Dawn some days at your residence if you can get an outside antenna. Dawn is close to the SR 127 bridge over the tracks.

It’s a quiet railroad in the daylight but you will usually see a few. 007 or what ever it is called now is a early morning WB. Usually 6-8am.

008 as Farmer mentioned is usually before noon EB. There is also a (Q348?) mixed EB about the same time as Q008.

Best option with this line is find a CP and see if anything is lined up. There is a new crossover east of Versailles near Darke Shelby Co Line Road.

Somewhat rare doll arm signal in Ansonia.

Union City has a McDonald’s next to tracks that is good to sit and drink a cup of coffee while you wait.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/07/20 07:31
Author: tq-07fan

The former NYC Bee Line is busier now then it was even a few years ago so that is a plus. From Greenville though you are less than an hour away from Muncie and Richmond on the Indiana side and Sidney and Dayton on the Ohio side. If you are into Necrofoaming the Greenville area is full of abandoned railways. You can be amazed or angry at what all you missed.

Jim

Date: 09/07/20 11:11

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The former NYC Bee Line is busier now then it was
> even a few years ago so that is a plus. From
> Greenville though you are less than an hour away
> from Muncie and Richmond on the Indiana side and
> Sidney and Dayton on the Ohio side. If you are
> into Necrofoaming the Greenville area is full of
> abandoned railways. You can be amazed or angry at
> what all you missed.
>
I'm becoming more acquainted with what has been lost in this area. I plan to visit the Bradford RR Museum soon. I have learned that Bradford was an important junction on the PRR, later Conrail. Back in the 1960s, I lived for a time near Burkettsville and  the former Cincinnati Northern line (then NYC). I actually walked along that ROW from Burkettsville to St. Henry. Little remains of that line except a small bridge or two. Then there was the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton, abandoned nearly100 years ago. Ah, yes...

Date: 09/07/20 12:50
Author: exopr

Be sure to check out the depot and interlocking tower in Union City.   It's very rare to find a town that still has both.   Also the former NYC depot in Sidney is a good place to hang out although there is more traffic on the Toldeo Sub. which passes under the Bee Line there.   At Quincy you'll get the Bee Line traffic, some traffic off the Toledo Sub plus the I&O. 

Railfans do not live by trains alone so be sure to check Greenville's famous Maid Rite hamburger shop. 

Date: 09/08/20 11:59

exopr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be sure to check out the depot and interlocking
> tower in Union City.   It's very rare to find a
> town that still has both.   Also the former NYC
> depot in Sidney is a good place to hang out
> although there is more traffic on the Toldeo Sub.
> which passes under the Bee Line there.   At
> Quincy you'll get the Bee Line traffic, some
> traffic off the Toledo Sub plus the I&O. 
>
> Railfans do not live by trains alone so be sure to
> check Greenville's famous Maid Rite hamburger
> shop. 

Thanks for the tips, both rail- and food-related. I found the tower in Union City using Google Earth. I think I also spotted the depot, but Google Earth did not allow me to get a good look. It looks like it is well preserved. 

I took a drive to Ansonia yesterday and did see a little switching action. At first it looked like CSX was taking cars down the RJC track, but they backed up and parked the train west of town, or that's what I though they did. I didn't hang around very long. The train was mostly tank cars. I went on to Greenville but saw no RJC action there, but I didn't really expect to on Labor Day. I should spend some time looking for their activity in and around Celina, which is only about 10 miles away. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/20 12:04 by colehour.

Date: 09/08/20 16:46
Author: howeld

The engine house for RjC in Greenville is east of 127 right across the “mainline”. If the doors are up and engine gone then look for them somewhere out on the line. If doors are down go somewhere else.
Try 160.455 on the radio for Corman. Not sure how much they talk.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.158 seconds