Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > R&N's NRFF and 51 track cars!

Date: 09/20/20 07:57
R&N's NRFF and 51 track cars!
Author: Pattenburg

On Saturday there was a 51 trackcar excursion that started out in Schuylkill Haven (PA) at 8:30 AM. Their routing went through Port Clinton, where the cars were turned, and then headed to Tamaqua. The destination was Jim Thorpe where they stopped for a short break. After the LGSRY's excursion passed, the trackcars backed out of the yard for a trip across the new bridge at Nesquehoning Jct. The first image shows some of the track cars crossing  that bridge which spans the Lehigh River. Once all the cars were across they would back on to the track in the foreground to wait for R&N's NRFF to pass before heading south as seen in that second image. Regarding that third image, it is my "nomination" as the sharpest looking track car in Saturday's procession!

Date: 09/20/20 08:09
Re: R&N's NRFF and 51 track cars!
Author: dschlegel

Awesome photos!!

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/20/20 10:00
Author: zfan

Very nice!!

Date: 09/20/20 12:53
Author: Tominde

Nice.  Neat that R&N permitted a major track car outing.  That had to be a great time for the operators.   That seems like a pretty hefty outing.  What happens if say the 5th car in line breaks down?   I know little about track car operations.  I would suspect there are logistics like fuel and bathroom stops.   

Date: 09/20/20 14:22
Author: Pattenburg

Tominde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice.  Neat that R&N permitted a major track car
> outing.  That had to be a great time for the
> operators.   That seems like a pretty hefty
> outing.  What happens if say the 5th car in line
> breaks down?   I know little about track car
> operations.  I would suspect there are logistics
> like fuel and bathroom stops.
To answer some of your questions, on this particular trip there were porta potties in Jim Thorpe and Tamaqua available. The track cars should have enough fuel to make it through the entire trip with some carrying extra fuel in a red gas can. As for cars breaking down, it happens and when it does another track car usually will tow it along. 

Date: 09/21/20 09:26
Author: bluesboyst

Nice photo's.  Hat's off to Andy Muller for allow these on his railroad....Wow....

Date: 09/22/20 05:53
Author: wmfa2303

The track car in the third image was manufactured by the Fairmont Railway Motors and delivered to the Union Pacific Railroad, (Omaha, Nebraska) in January 1986.  Model  MT-19B.  It came equipped with a Onan B-48G Engine (20hp), factory Hydraulic Turntable, and a Hunter Gas heater.  The fantastic Paint work was applied by Steve Rinker of Romney, WV.  I have been the caretaker of this motorcar for the last 6 years.  Thanks for the kind words.

Owning and Operating a Speeder, is a great hobby and maybe not as expensive as you would think.  Allot of information is available at: https://narcoa.org/
Thanks Eric

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds