Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Muncie, IN

Date: 10/09/20 08:16
Muncie, IN
Author: guitarboy

I'm thinking about checking out the rail scene in Muncie.  What kind of traffic can I expect, and where are some good train watching spots? Thanks.

Terry Green
Garrett, IN

Date: 10/09/20 10:08
Re: Muncie, IN
Author: retcsxcfm

Don't know why you want to go there
when you are so close to Northern
Indiana locations.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 10/09/20 10:25
Author: wabash2800

MCculloch Park in Muncie is a great place to watch NS trains on the New Castle District run over the White River with two abandoned railroads (trail and bridges nearby).  It's interesting, because of the convuluted route, you can hear a train then not hear it, then hear it again and then it suddenly comes across the truss bridge. There is a small waterfall in front of the bridge that would make a photogenic backdrop of a train coming across the bridge. It's a public park and safe.

From what I've heard, Perkins Avenue west of downtown is a great place to watch CSX trains with signals. 

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/20 15:54 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/09/20 13:33
Author: KimHeusel

Get on Google Maps satellite view and check it out. There are plenty of places you can see both CSX and NS. Walnut Street is a good spot where the NS New Castle District swings across the CSX Indianapolis Line Sub. But as wabas2800 noted, McCullough Park is nice and there is a truss bridge that carries NS over the White River.

Kim Heusel

Date: 10/09/20 21:25
Author: exopr

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't know why you want to go there
> when you are so close to Northern
> Indiana locations.
>
> Uncle Joe
> Seffner,Fl.

Variety, its the spice of life.   Muncie is a good spot.   There's also the EMD plant.  May want to swing by it and see what engines are there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0475 seconds