Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Haucks, PA................solitude

Date: 10/09/20 11:06
Haucks, PA................solitude
Author: mp208

Reading & Northern NRFF climbs the grade swinging onto the ex CNJ at Haucks interlocking on its daily round trip from Reading to Wilkes Barre (10/7/20}  This recently interlocked junction connects the ex Reading line descending down from Hazelton.  A similiar train runs from Hazelton to Reading (and back) in the late afternoon and also carries a FF (fast freight) symbol.  This remote mountain side junction sees as many as six trains on weekdays. Note the new red an white color scheme on the middle unit symbolizing fast freight service

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/20 11:26 by mp208.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/09/20 11:42
Re: Haucks, PA................solitude
Author: King_Coal

Lots of good videos coming from Pennsylvania anthracite region these days. Neat to see all the reefers and RBLs. Do they go to local R&N customers?

Date: 10/09/20 13:26
Author: pdt

OK...This train is going from North Reading to Scranton.. The switch is from the Reading line to Hazleton (ahead to right), to the CNJ Nesquehoning branch, which connects to the old LV main running north from across the river from Jim Thorpe.    Right? 

Now, what is the Lofty Connection?    A connection between the reading line to Hazleton, and the LV in Hazleton?  IDK

Also, is the R&N getting any overhead traffic from Scranton to reading?   With the major connection to the NS at both ends, i'd think NS would be traying to hold on to any overhead traffic.   R&N could be hauling traffic for the DL and L&S to reading, but the shipper wuld have to specify routing via R&N, since on paper, its a more involved routing.   

This whole area is a mess of tracks and abandoned ROW's, that I have yet to figure out....
I finally got a map of everything that used to be, and is now, in the Wilkes Barre-Scranton area.    What a mess.

TIA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/20 13:42 by pdt.

Date: 10/09/20 15:07
Author: SeaboardMan

A few years ago I saw a map owned by Harold Weirthwin that was 12-15 feet long.  There were a zillion tracks in the area between Wilkes Barre and Scranton, zillions I'm telling you.  You never got tired of looking either.
john

Date: 10/09/20 18:48
Author: RGTower

I know. My old boss had a 6’x4’ framed map of eastern PA railroad rights of way in his office from the 1950’s. You could get lost studying that thing while he was talking.

Date: 10/10/20 05:15
Author: bigsavage

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK...This train is going from North Reading to
> Scranton.. The switch is from the Reading line to
> Hazleton (ahead to right), to the CNJ Nesquehoning
> branch, which connects to the old LV main running
> north from across the river from Jim Thorpe.   
> Right? 
>
> Now, what is the Lofty Connection?    A
> connection between the reading line to Hazleton,
> and the LV in Hazleton?  IDK
>
> Also, is the R&N getting any overhead traffic from
> Scranton to reading?   With the major connection
> to the NS at both ends, i'd think NS would be
> traying to hold on to any overhead traffic.  
> R&N could be hauling traffic for the DL and L&S to
> reading, but the shipper wuld have to specify
> routing via R&N, since on paper, its a more
> involved routing.   
>
> This whole area is a mess of tracks and abandoned
> ROW's, that I have yet to figure out....
> I finally got a map of everything that used to be,
> and is now, in the Wilkes Barre-Scranton
> area.    What a mess.
>
> TIA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0622 seconds