Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Ogden Dunes Action

Date: 10/14/20 15:22
Ogden Dunes Action
Author: kevink

I had a chance to spend a few hours along the NS Chicago Line at Ogden Dunes, IN last week. Decent amount of NS traffic, a couple of South Shore passenger trains but surprisingly no South Shore freight action. I must have timed it wrong. 

First up was a westbound coke load with a mix of regular hoppers and extended hoppers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 19:07 by kevink.

Date: 10/14/20 15:25
Re: Ogden Dunes Action

Next, a westbound NICTD/South Shore train approaches its station stop at Ogden Dunes

Signals on the NS west of this location indicated a westbound was due. Soon a westbound NS intermodal arrived.

Date: 10/14/20 15:26

Later that afternoon, a wwestbound freight passes mile post 488. Note the alteration to the mile test sign 
An eastbound unit coil train of all INLX coil cars was the next train

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 15:32 by kevink.

Date: 10/14/20 15:27

Just as the coil train cleared, the 5+ hour late Lake Shore Limited raced by. 
The trains kept coming as a westbound ethanol empty led by NS 1089 rolled by including some MWTX tank cars

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 15:37 by kevink.

Date: 10/14/20 15:41

Another MWTX tank car.

I knew I had to leave by 3 pm in order to get to Hinsdale, IL to pick up my kid at 4 pm. So I was almost ready to leave when the signals lit up for another westbound.I didn't have long to wait as NS 9541 rolled a mixed freight west. One of the cars was this IAIS covered hopper

Date: 10/14/20 18:09
Author: kbmiflyer

Great shots, a nice little spot in Chicagoland.

You have any issues with the local authorities?  I have heard they don't like it if you park in the South Shore commuter lot but you are ok if you park on the little road on the East end of the lot.

Date: 10/14/20 19:03

No issues with the local authorities. I was parked on the edge of the road at the east end. The South Shore parking was not even a quarter full.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/14/20 19:46
Author: calumet

Nice shots, thanks for posting.  Maybe they will encourage others to visit this spot.  It's an excellent and legal location for viewing the Chicago Line action.

The unit coil train originates at IHB's Michigan Ave yard, and runs to a steel finishing plant near New Carlisle, IN.  It will return with empties later in the day.  It's a daily--or almost daily--run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 19:51 by calumet.

Date: 10/14/20 20:17
Author: ghemr

kevink Wrote:

> I knew I had to leave by 3 pm in order to get to
> Hinsdale, IL to pick up my kid at 4 pm.

Ahh, so that was you driving like a bat out of hell on the 294? Great pictures regardless!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 20:18 by ghemr.

Date: 10/14/20 20:27

ghemr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ahh, so that was you driving like a bat out of
> hell on the 294? Great pictures regardless!

One has to drive like that on 294 otherwise one will get run over! Although, I did slow down to admire my firm's work on the Mile Long Bridge project.

Date: 10/17/20 12:00
Author: junctiontower

The High Tops used to run in complete or mostly complete sets.  The last few years they seemed to all been seperated and mixed in with standard hoppers and are often the minority of any given train set.  It seems to ME that it would have made more sense to leave them in dedicated in sets. Does anybody know the cubic capacity difference between the High Tops and a standard hopper?

Date: 10/21/20 06:33

Cubic foot capacities:
High Tops are 5465 CF, NS Class H63AR
Other cars seem to be either 3737 CF (NS Classes H65 & H69) or 3744 CF, NS Class HP29R 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0574 seconds