Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Railfan support for tourist railroads

Date: 10/24/20 07:36
Railfan support for tourist railroads
Author: VaCentralRy

I've seen a recent  increase in postings of tourist railroad photos.  I was wondering if I'm the only one who gives some financial support to these operations when I'm only taking pictures and not riding that day? I'd buy something in the gift shop and tack on extra cash to the sale. If there is no gift shop, I've given money without buying a ticket so it doesn't mess up the passenger count and leaves that ticket for someone else.
   WIth Covid, business is down, social distancing cuts down on passenger trip counts, and for the most part these are operations surviving barely above the break-even level. If every railfan taking pictures contributed $10+, it would help the bottom line.
   Two decades ago I was involved in the management of a shortline's tourist operation. Railfans would call wondering what the power was going to be. I'd tell them and mention that tickets to ride were still available. I'd be told they weren't interested in riding, they just wanted to take pictures. Problem solved: it doesn't operate any more.

John

Date: 10/24/20 08:22
Re: Railfan support for tourist railroads
Author: ClubCar

VaCentralRy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>    I've seen a recent  increase in postings of
> tourist railroad photos.  I was wondering if I'm
> the only one who gives some financial support to
> these operations when I'm only taking pictures and
> not riding that day? I'd buy something in the gift
> shop and tack on extra cash to the sale. If there
> is no gift shop, I've given money without buying a
> ticket so it doesn't mess up the passenger count
> and leaves that ticket for someone else.
>    With Covid, business is down, social
> distancing cuts down on passenger trip counts, and
> for the most part these are operations surviving
> barely above the break-even level. If every
> railfan taking pictures contributed $10+, it would
> help the bottom line.
>    Two decades ago I was involved in the
> management of a shortline's tourist operation.
> Railfans would call wondering what the power was
> going to be. I'd tell them and mention that
> tickets to ride were still available. I'd be told
> they weren't interested in riding, they just
> wanted to take pictures. Problem solved: it
> doesn't operate any more.
>
> John

This is nothing new.  This has been going on for more years then I can remember.  There are and most likely will always be those selfish individuals who will go trackside anywhere to get their photos but they will not give one dime towards the operations.  It is sad but there is basically nothing any of us can do.  I have contributed to many operations my entire adult life including fan trips by buying tickets and museums by making donations.  Most rail historians and/enthusiasts will do this but there is and probably will always be those selfish people who will not pay one cent towards the restoration and maintenance of the organization.  On many fan trips some of these same selfish people have been known to arrive at a photo line sight  set up for the passengers from the train and get in the way of the those paying passengers during a photo run by.  You talk about some very angry passengers.  They have their rights even though most of us truly dislike them.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 10/24/20 10:22
Author: Lackawanna484

In economics, this is called a free rider situation. People who pay nothing toward a service, and often push aside paying customers.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/24/20 11:56
Author: cozephyr

What tourist railroads are open in your area-?  I checked and found the Western Maryland Scenic RR at Cumberland, Maryland, was closed all of 2020.  Hope they can reopen in 2021.

Date: 10/24/20 12:32
Author: bigsavage

cozephyr Wrote:
> What tourist railroads are open in your area-?  I
> checked and found the Western Maryland Scenic RR
> at Cumberland, Maryland, was closed all of 2020.
>  Hope they can reopen in 2021.

If "your area" means the Mid-Atlantic states; here's a list of operating lines:
Allentown & Auburn
Colebrookdale Line
Reading & Northern
Strasburg
Northern Central
Stewartstown RR
Walkersville Southern
Potomac Eagle
Wilmington & Western
Cass and Durbin & Greenbrier Valley
East Broad Top and Rockhill Trolley (limited events)

All but the Cass/Durbin operations are within 2 hour drive of Washington/Baltimore metro area.
I have been to 4 of these listed and have posted threads about all 4...
WMSR and the Everett have stayed closed by management choice, not by government edict...

Date: 10/24/20 13:08
Author: hsr_fan

cozephyr Wrote:
> What tourist railroads are open in your area-?  I
> checked and found the Western Maryland Scenic RR
> at Cumberland, Maryland, was closed all of 2020.
>  Hope they can reopen in 2021.

Over the last month or so I've ridden on the Reading & Northern out of Jim Thorpe, PA, the Pine Creek RR narrow gauge loop at Allaire State Park in NJ, and the Stourbridge Line up in Honesdale, PA.  I was thinking about going out to New Hope and Flemington tomorrow to get some photos of #40 and maybe catch the Black River & Western Pumpkin train (which is running with diesel power), but the weather's not looking so great.

Date: 10/24/20 15:48
Author: rkennedy2

I rode the R&N Lehigh train three times this year.  More than usual, but the needed our support.  Same for Strasburg, three trips so far and I'll be back.  Have to support these operations.  Coal isn't cheap.  Plus a train ride anywhere will take your mind off the endless 2020 firehouse of horror and sadness.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0493 seconds