Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Juniata Valley Railroad On Water Street

Date: 10/24/20 17:39
Juniata Valley Railroad On Water Street
Author: NS6707

The Juniata Valley Railroad's JVR-1 crew rolls down Water Street, with 1 inbound gondola for Standard Steel on 10-7-20.

Gage Bishop
Lewistown, PA

Date: 10/25/20 05:51
Re: Juniata Valley Railroad On Water Street
Author: Topfuel

Water Street.  Well, I guess that narrows it down a bit.  I doubt many people here on TO (including me) have the slightest idea what town this is.  Or what state for that matter.

Date: 10/25/20 06:37
Author: toledopatch

Topfuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Water Street.  Well, I guess that narrows it down
> a bit.  I doubt many people here on TO (including
> me) have the slightest idea what town this is. 
> Or what state for that matter.

Lewistown, Pa.

And I agree, that information matters - especially to folks who might want to go there to photograph this before Carload Express takes over.

Date: 10/25/20 08:07
Author: CP8888

toledopatch Wrote:
> Topfuel Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Water Street.  Well, I guess that narrows it
> down
> > a bit.  I doubt many people here on TO
> (including
> > me) have the slightest idea what town this
> is. 
> > Or what state for that matter.
>
> Lewistown, Pa.
>
> And I agree, that information matters - especially
> to folks who might want to go there to photograph
> this before Carload Express takes over.

Carload Express is trucking?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/25/20 08:53
Author: Juniata

Carload Express is a short line railroad operator. They were awarded the SEDACOG group of short lines a number of years ago but, current operator Northshore filed suit claiming irregularities in the review and award process. A judge recently ruled the bid process was not flawed opening the way for Carload Express to step in and assume responsibility for these short lines. And I’ll qualify this by saying assuming Northshore doesn’t have a few legal rabbits left to pull from their hat.

Edit to add SEDA-COG website.

www.seda-cog.org

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/20 08:59 by Juniata.

Date: 10/25/20 09:21
Author: scraphauler

Juniata Wrote:
 A judge recently ruled the bid process was not flawed opening the
> way for Carload Express to step in and assume
> responsibility for these short lines. And I’ll
> qualify this by saying assuming Northshore
> doesn’t have a few legal rabbits left to pull
> from their hat.
>

Not a judge, but judges.  6-2 Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision allowing SEDACOG to move forward in awarding the bid to Carload Express.   50,000 thumbnail sketch - The 16 member SEDACOG board originally awarded contract to Carload Express in 2017 on a 7-2 vote with 7 member not present or abstaining. Legal wrangling ensued with argument being that awarding of contract required a 9 member majority.   PA Supreme Court ruled that is a 9 member majority was required, SEDACOG should have admended their charter to include that.   I doubt the courts have seen the last of this, but as of now, it's leaning pretty stongly to Carload Express taking over.

Date: 10/25/20 10:33
Author: WM_1109

Topfuel Wrote:
> Water Street.  Well, I guess that narrows it down a bit.  I doubt many people here on TO (including
> me) have the slightest idea what town this is. Or what state for that matter.

You're kidding, right?  "Juniata Valley" didn't narrow it down for ya?  And I guess the keystone on the nose of JVRR 2106 didn't help either?  Not to mention the fact that Gage has posted plenty of similar photos in past. But I suppose it's easier to BM&C* than to expend the energy required for a couple of mouse clicks. Next, y'all will be asking what's in the inbound gondola. (It's been covered before, if you take the time to look.)
/Ted
*No, it's not a railroad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/20 12:08 by Theowhitey.

Date: 10/25/20 12:04
Author: BobP

I like that stairwy on the right.

Date: 10/25/20 13:06
Author: Milwaukee

At least the discussion her on Trainorders is very consistent:https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,5063710

Date: 10/25/20 13:57
Author: ns1000

Nice pic!!

Date: 10/26/20 08:09
Author: Gonut1

Having spent time in that area 25 years ago I never caught the Juniata Valley running but you could often would find their loco(s) tied down in the Lewistown Yard. Thanks to Gage many of us get to see the not only the street running but also other scenes from the area. A while back he posted  a photo along the old PRR Main until then I didn't know JV switched out a few industries a little further west using trackage rights in the NS main.
Good stuff from Water Street!
When you get tired of the unique shortline operation you just cross the river and hang around Lewistown station and there is plenty of mainline action from NS and a pair of Amtrak Pennsylvanians to catch.
I thought it was the Reading and Northern that filed the suit about the awarding of contracts as they would like to take over those operations? Perhaps that may have been a different filing?
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds