Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Trackside updates in Sandusky/Port Clinton, Ohio

Date: 10/25/20 17:01
Trackside updates in Sandusky/Port Clinton, Ohio
Author: bath_wildcat

Hello all, 

Since I last posted thing have been very busy.  A new work schedule where I do 3 12 hour overnight shifts in Lorain, Ohio and a small 6 hour shife over night too.  Anyway Im getting 42 hours a week so its all good, thankfully I still have my private security job.  

From August 10th I tried a little experiment with Amtrak 30, the eastbound Captitol Limited in Sandusky, Ohio.  I had hoped that trying a few night pics again would pan out, however I did learn a few things to try this again. 

August 17th brought a Coal train I took pics of at the Venice Rd. crossing. Power was NS 4240 (Ex NS C44-9W 9072) and NS 1220.  

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 10/25/20 17:07
Re: Trackside updates in Sandusky/Port Clinton, Ohio

August 24th brought a small run to Bellevue, Ohio to get away, and I find High Hood NS 5248 running on a local.  

Same night also brought the NS 1069 leading an Eastbound manifest by Gypsom, Ohio at CD 251.  

September 9th brought Amtrak 75 heading back to Chicago on NS 25N.  Ironically my wife had a doctors appointment so I captured this one at CD 244.  

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 10/25/20 17:12

On September 11th NS 8025 leads 21Z through Gypsom, Ohio. 

September 20th brought the GECX demo unit 2012 and fuel tender.  These next two were taken at CD 271, Millbury, Ohio.  I also stumbled on the stone plant over by Carey, Ohio as there was no power or special power sitting but more ponies. 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 10/25/20 17:19

September 27th brought CP 8030 with CSXT 354 on 60X.  Whats ironic about this is that the 60X stopped up near Sloopys to wait on NS 294 to go around them while having NS 21G sitting at CD 253 waiting on 294 to clear.  

October 8th brought the very late Amtrak Lake Shore Limited.  I shot this one at CD 251, Gypsom, Ohio. 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 10/25/20 17:27

Broadside shot of Amtrak 145, this time trailing, however The Lake shore was going slow enough due to a work zone at CD 253 that I was able to get this pic.  Taken from the othe side of the railroad crossing. 

October 10th brought NS 1067, The Reading heritage unit at CD 251 leading NS 21Q land barge.  This one out of all of them is my wifes favorite heritage unit. 

October 11th also brought a rare Cream & Green SD70MAC 9786 on a coal train heading to Avon Lake, Ohio 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 10/25/20 18:33
Author: NKP-PRR

Hey Mike- nice update. I spent plenty of time and numerous rolls of film at Gypsum and also at the Bay bridge.

While at Gypsum in the 90’s, one afternoon the friendly crew of TOPI were making a set out at the US Gypsum plant. The engineer invited me up into the cab and had a pleasant conversation with the crew about life, railroading and sticking with school (I was a sophomore in BG at the time). As they let me “help” with the brake test they offered me a ride to Sandusky where the next stop was. I had to decline since I didn’t have a ride home and had exams to study for. This adds to the many kick myself situations in life!

I’ve been away from “home” for many years but this last summer, thanks to COVID, my family took up camp close to Oak Harbor. My, the number of trains at night! It was great to fall asleep to the countless amount of horns at all those country road crossings. Nothing better than sitting by the camp fire with your favorite beverage listening to the parade close by.

Nice to see someone enjoy this area as I much as I did back in the day. I haven’t strayed too far away, as I only live in Amherst, but is different in many ways.

-Dave

P.S.- where about a in Lorain are you working?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/25/20 21:44

I work off Oberlin Ave at an apartment complex doing security for them. It's a pretty cushy job, lots of boredom. Make rounds every couple of hours then chill in the office.

The update wasnt quite done due to computer issues. I had a few other pics I was going to post, including 4001 from a couple of days ago leading 24M.

Ironically I got my start at CD 266 a very long time ago with my dad. While I still do make it to there from time to time, I still have that same parade you mentioned, it makes my wife go bonkers, but her and I would stay up to wait on the Capitol Limited eastbound before her and i went to bed. I live in Port Clinton literally right behind the tracks.

If you see a Red Dodge Challenger out in the area with custom plates BMAN, that's me.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 10/26/20 06:39
Author: NKP-PRR

I sent you timetables a few years back for the Chicago Line when you first moved to the area, glad to see your still there.

My favorite spot in town is Coffee Express on 2nd street. The last time I was in town there were at least 8 trains both directions in less than an hour. Great little town...just not much in terms of jobs.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/26/20 10:05
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice series of pictures Mike.
John

Date: 10/26/20 12:01
Author: NYSWSD70M

Nice photo's!

Date: 10/26/20 14:02

NKP-PRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sent you timetables a few years back for the
> Chicago Line when you first moved to the area,
> glad to see your still there.
>
> My favorite spot in town is Coffee Express on 2nd
> street. The last time I was in town there were at
> least 8 trains both directions in less than an
> hour. Great little town...just not much in terms
> of jobs.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Yep and I still have that time table. Thanks a bunch for sending that. I have used it quite often to just see where I'm at territory wise to get a feel for it.

My wife and I decided to live here, well I did due to the busy Chicago Line. It puts me to sleep after a hard day at work.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 10/27/20 07:13
Author: cornerfieldhobby

Mike, you got some sweet catches here.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0931 seconds