Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Railfanning During a Pandemic

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 11/14/20 11:40
Railfanning During a Pandemic
Author: GPutz

Last Tuesday there was a post on Trainorders that promoted the idea that holding a railfan photography event with little social distancing and most of the participants not wearing masks was acceptable behavior during a pandemic.

I believe that photography event was an irresponsible public health menace.  I cannot support such activities, nor their promotion.  This is a matter of life or death.  The number of infections and deaths is rising exponentially in our country.  Millions may die in the next two or three years unless we all behave responsibly now.

In many parts of our country doctors, nurses, technicians, first responders, hospital maintenance and administrative staff have been working 24/7 for months to save lives from COVID-19, isolating themselves from their families and friends to prevent further spread of the disease.  These are real American heroes.  Our healthcare system may collapse if they don’t get relief soon.

In the immortal words of President John F. Kennedy: Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.  During this pandemic social distancing, wearing a mask when near others and vigorously promoting those actions is the very least each of us can do for our country.  We are all in this together, whether we like it or not, and we will either live or many of us will die, depending on our response to President Kennedy’s challenge as applied to this pandemic.  In the past Americans have risen to many great challenges.  Let’s do it again.

So pull up your big boy, or big girl, patriotic pants, stop the whining, and do your part to save lives and support our real American heroes.

You will also notice if you go to the Recent Images page of my website that I am still out there recording the railroad scene.  I keep a distance from others I meet along the way, wear a mask when in the presence of other people and do not attend or promote irresponsible railfan events.  I acknowledge that I have not always been perfect in my actions.  I will do better in future.  I hope you will join me.

Gerry Putz

Date: 11/14/20 11:51
Re: Railfanning During a Pandemic
Author: howeld

Millions will die pandemic or not - that is life - so best go enjoy life while you can.

Or more simply, mind your own business.

Date: 11/14/20 12:10
Author: SP4360

Obviously doing something simple is well above your feeble mind.

howeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Millions will die pandemic or not - that is life -
> so best go enjoy life while you can.
>
>
> Or more simply, mind your own business.

Date: 11/14/20 12:15
Author: VaCentralRy

Thank you for promoting responsible behavior. If people on TO will call out photographers for standing too close to the tracks, there is nothing wrong with calling out people practicing irresponsible behavior.
   From my other hobby, birding, a rare bird in Delaware was attracting people from at least 6 states and D.C. last week. Birders were spread out viewing and photographing it as the photo shows.

Date: 11/14/20 12:28
Author: bluehen

I look at this issue a bit differently than "minding my own business". I wear this annoying facemask because I care about my neighbors and really don't want them (or me) to catch this extremely contagious virus that can kill or disable vulnerable people. Wearing a facemask is a very minor inconvenience that makes life safer during this pandemic. Should we stop at red lights or "mind our own business"? 

Date: 11/14/20 12:29
Author: photobob

Amen......

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 11/14/20 12:33
Author: ClubCar

bluehen Wrote:
> I look at this issue a bit differently than
> "minding my own business". I wear this annoying
> facemask because I care about my neighbors and
> really don't want them (or me) to catch this
> extremely contagious virus that can kill or
> disable vulnerable people. Wearing a facemask is a
> very minor inconvenience that makes life safer
> during this pandemic. Should we stop at red lights
> or "mind our own business"? 
You get my vote.  Everyone should wear a mask and practice social distancing.  It is now the law here in the State of Maryland.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 11/14/20 12:45
Author: RuleG

Very well stated, GPutz.

Last weekend, there was a Greenberg's Train Show in my area.  Although the promotional information for the show mentioned there were COVID-19 procedures in place, I did not feel comfortable going to enclosed place to which potentially have many other people in confined spaces and decided not to attend.  While minature trains are fun, they aren't to die for.  I opted to spend Saturday morning railfanning outside, instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/20 06:16 by RuleG.

Date: 11/14/20 13:15
Author: dschlegel

Well said Gerry!

In my neck of the woods the few railfans I have seen practice social distancing well, and I always have a mask with me in case one gets within 10’ of me.

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/14/20 13:29
Author: nycman

And that's a great mask, Gerry.

Date: 11/14/20 13:34
Author: RayH

bluehen Wrote:
> I look at this issue a bit differently than
> "minding my own business". I wear this annoying
> facemask because I care about my neighbors and
> really don't want them (or me) to catch this
> extremely contagious virus that can kill or
> disable vulnerable people. Wearing a facemask is a
> very minor inconvenience that makes life safer
> during this pandemic. Should we stop at red lights
> or "mind our own business"? 

Unfortunately, in South Carolina (aka South Covidlina), stopping at red lights or wearing face masks are both rarities with the general population. I avoid large gatherings of railfans (even pre-pandemic!) and carry facemasks in my car and camera bag.

Date: 11/14/20 13:38
Author: EL833

So I just re-upped my membership to see some dude in a mask lecturing me ? So much for viewing trains on a train site....

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 11/14/20 13:55
Author: exhaustED

A great post (and great mask)!

Date: 11/14/20 14:17
Author: Darthsimpletext

No whining about masks here! I wore a mask every time i did pandemic railfanning on the CSX philly sub and did so 10-15 times so far

nick

Date: 11/14/20 14:19
Author: dozerman

Right on el833.   

Date: 11/14/20 14:45
Author: Jettrainfan

Ditto with EL833.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/14/20 14:56
Author: exhaustED

EL833 Wrote:
> So I just re-upped my membership to see some dude
> in a mask lecturing me ? So much for viewing
> trains on a train site....

The trains are still here... sounds like maybe some people can't find their big boy pants..

Date: 11/14/20 15:24
Author: icancmp193

exhaustED Wrote:
> A great post (and great mask)!

I'm anything but a mask sheeple but I always wear mine when out and about. In my small town, compliance is so-so, so you can't be too careful.
Went to the doctor on another matter last week and ended up with a Covid test due to some symptoms. Negative (but that doesn't mean it would be the next time).

TJY

Date: 11/14/20 16:29
Author: mully

Thank you Gerry from someone who works in healthcare and sees this everyday you are dead on!!!

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/14/20 16:32
Author: Lackawanna484

where did you get the mask, it's great!

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0903 seconds