Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Yesterday's Nittany & Bald Eagle Action Around Bellefonte

Date: 11/24/20 15:02
Yesterday's Nittany & Bald Eagle Action Around Bellefonte
Author: NS6707

Yesterday, me & onblock took a trip over to Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, to see some Nittany & Bald Eagle Railroad action. Before anyone asks, they run 3 crews out of Bellefonte 5 days a week: Bellefonte-Pleasant Gap Turn (BPG), NBER-4 to Tyrone & NBER-3 to Lock Haven. We caught all 3 crews which was a successful day, so enjoy!

Pic 1: BPG heads past Bellefonte Station with 6 covered hoppers bound for Pleasant Gap.

Pic 2: BPG crossing over North Harrison Road in Pleasant Gap.

Pic 3: BPG arriving back to Bellefonte with 31 cars from Pleasant Gap.

Gage Bishop
Lewistown, PA

Date: 11/24/20 15:13
Re: Yesterday's Nittany & Bald Eagle Action Around Bellefonte

Pic 4: NBER-4 yards their train in Sunnyside Yard in Bellefonte. These cars will head up to Lock Haven with the NBER-3 crew later in the afternoon.

Pic 5: NBER-3 arrives in Sunnyside Yard. They're getting ready to start their shove towards Milesburg.

Pic 6: NBER-3 shoving out @ BELLE in Milesburg. They will head up to Lock Haven shortly with 40 cars.

Gage Bishop
Lewistown, PA

Date: 11/24/20 15:18

Final one...

Pic 7: NBER-3 departing from BELLE in Milesburg with 40 cars for Lock Haven. Man, that sounded pretty good.

I hoped you all enjoyed.

Gage Bishop
Lewistown, PA

Date: 11/24/20 15:29
Author: RuleG

Thanks for posting these photos of my hometown area railroad.

Date: 11/24/20 15:30
Author: dschlegel

Good stuff!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/24/20 17:12
Author: ShortlinesUSA

"Before anyone asks, they run 3 crews out of Bellefonte 5 days a week: Bellefonte-Pleasant Gap Turn (BPG), NBER-4 to Tyrone & NBER-3 to Lock Haven."

Well, I'm glad I didn't have to ask! ;-p

Great shots, captions, and all around good info. THANK YOU!

Mike Derrick

Posted from Android

Date: 11/24/20 18:34
Author: Gonut1

Very nice photos. It's been a long time since I've been in those haunts. Never caught much action but it was fun to poke around the reamains of Bellefonte Central. Do they use a shoving platform or does the conductor forced to ride the grab handles from Belle to Milesburg? 
Thanks,
Go

Date: 11/24/20 19:58
Author: onblock

Belle is the name chosen for the site of the hand thrown switch in Milesburg connecting the Tyrone-Lock Haven Bald Eagle Branch with the line to Bellefonte, at the former location of Miles Tower and Interlocking Station. A 1978 track chart shows that it is roughly a mile and a half from Centre County's Sunnyside Yard in Bellefonte to the connection in Milesburg. The conductor on the Lock Haven turn must ride the rear car from the yard out to Milesburg,  and again, on the return trip from Milesburg to Sunnyside. 

Date: 11/25/20 04:42
Author: JUTower

Great photos and info, thank you.

Date: 11/25/20 05:25
Author: rev66vette

Very informative and enertaining post, thanks for sharing.....

Date: 11/25/20 14:13
Author: PRR1361

Is the "rear car" a shoving platform of some sort, or is it strictly grab irons?

Date: 11/25/20 16:23
Author: ns1000

My favorite is the last pic!!

Date: 11/25/20 16:44
Author: onblock

PRR1361 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the "rear car" a shoving platform of some sort,
> or is it strictly grab irons?

No specialized equipment is used

Date: 11/27/20 19:21
Author: pdt

Looks like they have enough covered hopper cars in their consists to use one as a "shoving platform".  The open area on the end of covered hoppers is easier to ride, and more sheltered than riding a box car or tank car.   Still not fun when the wind is blowing and railing or snowing.   U think they would invest in a caboose just for safety's sake on a 1.5 mile backup.   The mountains of PA isnt exactly SoCal.

Maybe they put an engine in the rear when the weather's bad?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/20 19:24 by pdt.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds