Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Anyone Seen SEPTA Former LIRR Cab Control HEP Units In Virginia?

Date: 12/02/20 16:37
Anyone Seen SEPTA Former LIRR Cab Control HEP Units In Virginia?
Author: krm152

Years ago, SEPTA purchased two LIRR Cab Control HEP units that they in turn converted into Electro Gel spreaders for treating the rails during the fall season. The two units were:
LIRR #615 Cab Control Car former Alco ALCO FA-1 ex BN 4116
LIRR #622 Cab Control Car former EMD F7A ex B&O 4524
SEPTA retained the LIRR numbers.

In the summer of 2017, it was reported that SEPTA had put these units up for sale.
Later, it was reported that they had been sold to a railroad museum in Virginia.

On 8/31/17, birdman posted a photo of these units at Wayne Junction Shop looking kind of rough with the reporting mark VGNX stenciled on them. This reporting mark has been identified as belonging to the Eastern Virginia Railroad Historical Society. My understanding is that this organization is based in the Norfolk VA area.

Has anyone spotted these two units in Virginia? Better still, has anyone taken any photos of them in Virginia?

All solid information will be appreciated.

ALLEN

Date: 12/02/20 18:21
Re: Anyone Seen SEPTA Former LIRR Cab Control HEP Units In Virgin
Author: boejoe

They did drop from the radar.  I'd forgotten about them until now.  Will be interesting to see what info this post produces.

Date: 12/02/20 22:54
Author: DTWilson

I photographed the #615 back in December 2018 heading west thru Cumberland, MD going to it's new home in West Virginia.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4693529,4693774#msg-4693774

Tim W.

Date: 12/03/20 06:24
Author: septacarczar

The 622, was taken from Wayne Electric car shop/yard to Roberts Yard- centennial track and scrapped on site, roughly around the same time frame...December 2018...

Date: 12/03/20 09:26
Author: krm152

Thanks very much for the updates on these two former LIRR Control Units.

According to my information, of the nineteen Control Units made from converted ALCO FA’s, fifteen remain in varying conditions. Of the four Control Units made from converted EMD F’s, two remain; both are owned by the Seminole Golf Railway in Fort Myers, FL.

ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds