Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 2020 Hindsight: Getting Out When You Still Can

Date: 01/08/21 17:04
2020 Hindsight: Getting Out When You Still Can
Author: march_hare

Well, word got out this summer that Buffalo & Pittsburg was running freshly painted sets of SD60s on their daily road trains.  I'm not a big fan of the ultra-consolidated shortline networks, but there is something to be said for the G&W family's orange paint scheme. And their operation on the B&P is pretty predictable, with southbound trains laying over in Salamanca, NY before heading up the big hill along the Pennsylvania border each morning.  And it's pretty rural, so a rail fan can pretty much grab a room at a ( largely vacant) motel, grab something from a drivethru window, and just follow the train out of town in the morning without much risk of virus exposure. 

Except, on the first day, I find out that one of the new sets of SD60s has had some kind of problem. But wait. The lead unit today will be a former QNSL SD40-2, which almost matches the G&W orange paint scheme. Not bad, really. Away we go, listening to the wonderful sound of big 1980s-era EMDs on a heavy grade with a heavy train. Very nice indeed. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/21 17:04 by march_hare.

Date: 01/08/21 17:08
Re: 2020 Hindsight: Getting Out When You Still Can

The next day, the "other" set of road power shows up, and it is indeed a matched set of wide cabs, as promised. Alas, not enough time to follow this one. 

Date: 01/08/21 17:19

And then, there were the locals. I only caught one of them actually moving (first pic, at Bradford PA). But there were two geeps laying over at Salamanca and a high hood geep (remember them?) at a sand pit north of town. No idea when they actually work. 

All in all, two and a half days of pleasant, socially distanced railfanning, with good weather. It may even have kept me marginally sane for a few weeks, back when it looked like the pandemic was easing a bit. What's not to like?

Date: 01/08/21 19:09
Author: perklocal

Great shots !  In the first shot you are standing on the old ROW of the Mount Jewett,Kinzua and Riterville Railroad also known as the Kushequa Route at Backus,PA. where it passed beneath the BR&P.  At one time there was an interchange here. Though it's hard to believe today, in the early 1900s this area was full of narrow gauge as well as standard gauge lines that were mainly involved in the lumber industry. Your second shot looks like it's on the horseshoe curve at Droneys on the grade south of Lewis Run. The old BR&P is a great piece of railroad. Thanks for sharing !

Date: 01/08/21 20:31
Author: rbenko

Nice shots - love the SD60s at Salamanca!!  What an amazing town that used to be back in the day, with two major classification yards (Erie and BR&P), a PRR branch line, and four passenger stations (two still exist - the massive Erie station burned down several years ago).  I've seen a few historical shots of the town and yards, but would love to see more if anyone has any to share.

Date: 01/09/21 03:12
Author: pedrop

Nice pics. I like the big culvert in pic 1.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/21 03:14 by pedrop.

Date: 01/09/21 03:47
Author: WM_1109

Nice set of images. Two days well-spent.
/Ted

march_hare Wrote:
> The next day, the "other" set of road power shows up, and it is indeed a matched set of wide cabs, as promised. Alas, not enough time to follow this one. 

^^There's your justification to return.^^
/Ted

Date: 01/09/21 14:12
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 01/10/21 05:52
Author: LV95032

Yes is a nice piece of railroad. I've had my fill of those ex WCOR's ....
RWJ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds