Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Anyone seen anything like this or know what it was

Date: 01/09/21 21:29
Anyone seen anything like this or know what it was
Author: misty1

And don't tell me some sort of caboose. I hope to be able to get on the property and get more info.

Date: 01/09/21 21:48
Re: Anyone seen anything like this or know what it was
Author: boejoe

It was a "drovers caboose".  Drovers were men assigned to livestock (cattle, sheep) movements from the ranches to the processing plants to feed/water the animals during rest stops.  It was a federal law a hunded years ago.  Like a 'normal' caboose it was found at the end of the train and carried an area for the regular train crew (bunks, desk, food prep, cupola) and the other section had benches/bunks for the drovers.  Photos (and models) show some roads that had them include: ATSF (Santa Fe), CB&Q (Burlington), IC (Illinois Central), MKT (Katy), SSW (Cotton Belt) and UP.

Date: 01/09/21 21:52

Thank you I have heard of them but never saw one till today I am going to try to get more info on it.

Ed

Date: 01/10/21 07:42
Author: boejoe

The cupola style on this drovers resembles a Burlington type.  Where did you discover this body?  If you learn more, would be interested to hear results.
jb

Date: 01/10/21 08:00
Author: Mudrock

Where is this please?

Chris

Date: 01/13/21 10:44

Muscatine County Iowa West of Muscatine along a country road and wildlife refuge. I think it is being used as a hunting camp.

Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.073 seconds