Home Open Account Help 190 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Old Photo ID - Washington? Phila?

Date: 01/14/21 10:39
Old Photo ID - Washington? Phila?
Author: nydepot

Circa 1966-67. My mom was on a school trip to Washington from Western NY. This was someplace on the way. NE Corridor PRR?

Thanks.

Date: 01/14/21 10:45
Re: Old Photo ID - Washington? Phila?
Author: RuleG

nydepot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Circa 1966-67. My mom was on a school trip to
> Washington from Western NY. This was someplace on
> the way. NE Corridor PRR?
>
> Thanks.
>
My guess is that this is at Ivy City in Washington, DC.  The electrified PRR line is in the foreground and the B & O line to Cumberland, MD is in the background.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/21 14:01 by RuleG.

Date: 01/14/21 10:54
Author: RichM

That was my thought too, taken from New York Avenue... low profile buildings look right but the curve off to the west looks too severe...

Rich

Date: 01/14/21 11:03
Author: dwatry

Yes that's showing the B&O wye between Ivy City and Eckington Yard, going behind the steam plant.   

Date: 01/14/21 11:07
Author: boejoe

You can see the photo was taken from the back seat of an automobile (door lock button on left)

Date: 01/14/21 13:23
Author: Short-Hood-Lead

That’s the power plant in the middle of the wye in Ivy City. The freight train is the B&O that crosses the Washington Terminal immediately to the right of where this photo was taken.

Date: 01/14/21 18:48
Author: Cumberland

Today the Washington Metro's Red Line's elevated right-of-way occupies the area, that is immediately in front of the buildings in the background, from left to right.

Matthew

Date: 01/15/21 03:30
Author: csxape7

the old "T" street bridge is in the picture.  It was removed to make room for the metro red line in the area.

csxape7 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds