Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pan am pay rates??

Date: 01/15/21 09:21
Pan am pay rates??
Author: renaissance

Anybody know the minimum and maximum pay rates for pan am railway t&e?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/15/21 10:37
Re: Pan am pay rates??
Author: mttrainman1

Be careful if you are considering working there. If CSX takes over, it will. E pretty bad on the bottom of the rosters. CSX will undoubtedly bring their current business model of 2-3 day local service to the new property as soon as they possibly can. I hope some sort of New York Dock protection is available but even then csx has become very good at denying claims of all kinds on legal loopholes and interpretations of contracts and agreements. Beware!

Date: 01/15/21 15:48
Author: engineerinvirginia

A google search suggested 23 to 30 an hour....up to 77000/year for Conductor, and one assumes Engineers would be a little more. This may be a bit less than Class One rates but is pretty competitive, and certainly beats a number of short lines. 

Date: 01/15/21 18:34
Author: BRAtkinson

I worked with a man that had been previously employed at Pan Am for 4-5 years until he got laid off about 2009 or so.  His biggest complaint was spending 4 or more nights in hotels rather than home.  I suspect he was happy to be laid off to spend time with his family.

Date: 01/15/21 19:10
Author: Gonut1

Sometimes I'd like to spend 4 or 5 nights away from the family! You know absence makes the heart grow fonder!
This being stuck in the house with Covid-19 is getting old. I'm almost 75 and in a high risk group but I still do the weekly groceries and runs to the booze store and maybe I'll even venture to Lowes tomorrow for some non-shippable items. First time since March.
Still working full time and from home got rid of a horrible commute but as i said being stuck here is yuck.
Gonut

Date: 01/15/21 21:23
Author: Yavonation

I worked there 3 years ago. Pay rate for engineer was 30.62 an hr and I have heard it has gone up since I left. Conductor rates were about a dollar lower not including step rate. Guys could easily break six figures if they wanted to. I never stayed at the hotel more than one day at a time and I never stayed for more than 18 hours. The only time I heard about someone getting furloughed was because they volunteered themselves. By far the most laid back company I have ever worked for. Like others have said with an impending sale of the company I would be cautious about any long term employment, however it may be a good opportunity to get in some experience. Best of luck if you do decide to go for it, there are a lot of great guys their that can teach you quite a bit.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/16/21 04:19
Author: mttrainman1

From conversations I have had with Pan Am crews, a few years ago, I recall pan am had a slightly higher hourly rate than Csx. I believe they are similar now in the 35 to 37 dollar engineer hourly rate. No ideA of trainman rate. That being said, other than that similarity the operations and crew mentality are starkly different.
Pan Am crews were paid hourly with overtime after 8 hours. Alot of hours needed to be worked to make alot of money. In my experience, Pan Am crews got their 12 hours reliably. Meanwhile, CSX has been pushing crews hard to hurry up for years often mandating max. working hours of 9 or 10 hours, work complete or not. This, along with trip rates and train gps tracking equipment on many jobs incentivized crews to pick up their pace (or else). Over the years, these two things have changed the style between the two railroads dramatically. It will be a painful transition process for both Pan Am crews and Pan am management. The HQ leadership in Jax has become quite used to issuing edicts that better be immediately successfully implemented or they will replace a manager. With few exceptions, the team that will control Pan Am after a merger will be seasoned survivors of Hunter's PSR implementation. My heart goes out to those that will be put through this meat grinder. I have been through it and it was the worst days of my professional career so far. Still having nightmares...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds