Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NW PA railfanning locations

Date: 01/21/21 12:46
NW PA railfanning locations
Author: SPBrooklyn

Hey, I'm on a visit to Northwestern Pa currently and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for social distance railfanning.

Date: 01/21/21 20:39
Re: NW PA railfanning locations
Author: P

NW is kind if vague, but the only high density lines run along the lake shore and through Erie.
There is a host of other lines through the area with the highest density traffic on NS through Pittsburgh, but that might be getting too far south. The former BLE has impressive trains and scenery to boot, but limited traffic. If it were me, I might try to find out more about that line and find a train to follow.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/21/21 21:19
Author: RuleG

Go to North East PA (10 - 20 miles east of Erie).  Unfortunately, the Lake Shore Railway Museum is temporarily closed, but you could try Smedley Street which is crossed by CSX (ex-New York Central) and NS (ex-Nickel Plate).

Date: 01/22/21 04:51

Okay, you're right. I was being vague tho slightly on purpose. I'm in the Meadville area currently.

I was looking at the NS and CSX and will likely try Smedley Street. The Pittsburg option sounds great but I'm thinking that the lakeshore lines will be best.
Thanks
Nick

Date: 01/22/21 07:09
Author: rustyr0824

Yeah check out the town of North East PA, East of Erie PA.
And all the little buroughs along there.  Westfields NY has a nice little railfan park.

Date: 01/22/21 13:38
Author: Lackawanna484

Does the Western NY & PA run on weekends?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/22/21 19:27
Author: march_hare

Depending on your attitude toward snow ( is it a valuable extra element for creative photos, or an annoying and dangerous inconvenience) keep an eye on weather forecasts. Lake effect is likely to be a factor for the next week or so. 

Date: 01/23/21 06:57

Thank you all for your input.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds