Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > New Orleans & Gulf Coast accidental encounter in January

Date: 02/18/21 10:38
New Orleans & Gulf Coast accidental encounter in January
Author: frntinplate

Sorry for the late posting, too much to do around the house.  Back around January 20 I was in the New Orleans area for a few days.  First goal was to get photos of NOPB new blue locos, but I could not find them except packed away in a yard, no photos possible. The forecast was for rain and heavy clouds, so i figures it was industrial railroad photo day.  My first attempt at NO&GCV was an accidental encounter near Grenta (almost directly across the river from downtown New Orleans).  As the day progressed the sun did peak out a few times, so overall a good first time. 

Photos 1-3 of a EB (?) loaded grain coming from the UP interchange over some street running as it approached the Gouldsboro yard.   The downtown of Grenta features an old depot along the main drag, 3rd photo at the east end of Gouldsboro yard. 

Date: 02/18/21 10:41
Re: New Orleans & Gulf Coast accidental encounter in January

More in the Gouldsboro yard,.

2nd photo is the far east end of the railroad at end of track.  About 1/2 mile further behind the photographer is Algiers. 

3rd photo is at west end of the yard.  While I was photographing the first train a second grain train came up behind the first one, with the power used to pull the first train southward towards Alliance.  So I elected to give chase as the sun was starting to show a bit. 

Date: 02/18/21 10:43

The southbound first grain train departing Gouldsboro, headed to street running.   I guess it was garbage pickup day in Gretna. 

Date: 02/18/21 10:46

More street running featuring  those nice blue garbage cans. 

2nd photo crossing over a canal with lift bridge about 3 miles out of Gretna

3rd photo from levee at Belle Chase

Date: 02/18/21 10:48

1st photo at Cedar Grove
2nd a few miles south of Cedar Grove
Last photo a few miles south of Oak Point,,,not sure. 

Date: 02/18/21 10:52

1st a repeat location of the last post, 

2nd, 3rd,.  A second grain train was following the first one, with the lead locomoitve from the   Wichita Tillman &  Jackson RR, part of the parent Rio Grande Pacific holdings. 

Date: 02/18/21 10:56
Re: New Orleans & Gulf Coast final posting

1.  Approaching Alliance, the second train is not far behind the first, However no more photos as tracks are all in restricted industrial areas

2, 3   Home office of the NO&GC at Belle Chase  
'

Overall a very interesting operation.    Does anyone have information on their typical operatons, or was I just lucky.  A great variety of photo possiblities for what I thought was just an ordinary industrial railroad.  Lots of yard and street running action fully accessble from nearby public streets. 

Date: 02/18/21 15:26
Author: reel_smooth

Very nice series.

I took time to look at these with some interest due to the fact that, up here in Pennsylvania, an old NOGC GP16 or GP18 [I think - corrections welcome], not sure which, seems to have made it's way to the Everett Railroad, a shortline just south of Altoona. Drove past it with limited daylight and couldn't stop for a picture. Can't remember the number on the cab.

Date: 02/18/21 15:48
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Former NOGC GP7R 500.

Nice series of pics from the original poster.  Thanks for sharing!

Mike Derrick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0951 seconds