Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Delmarva Bids Farewell to Winter

Date: 03/09/21 15:00
Delmarva Bids Farewell to Winter
Author: cr2581

We didn't get hit nearly as bad as our friends above ...... just enough to make things pretty.  HA-1 heads north near South Smyrna through a blanket of white in the first image while on another day, the southbound counterpart rolls through empty fields near Woodside that will soon be full of corn.  Spring is right around the corner.

Enjoy !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/21 15:01 by cr2581.

Date: 03/09/21 16:41
Re: Delmarva Bids Farewell to Winter
Author: JUTower

Nice variety of motive power on the north end!

Date: 03/09/21 18:34
Author: MdRailfan

Who is getting the Centerbeams /w/ lumber? When I railfan in Perryville,seems like I've been seeing more than I used to and wondered who is receiving them.

Date: 03/09/21 19:25
Author: Tominde

Really like that first image.

Date: 03/09/21 20:28
Author: cr2581

The lumber cars go to Yoder & Sons in Greenwood.  There is a tremendous amount of new housing starts in Kent County and what you see here is used for framing.

Date: 03/10/21 09:49
Author: dcorreia

I think there is a pre-fab home manufacter in Greenwood. I believe at one time it was called Nanticoke Homes. My parents brought their house thru them.
David

Date: 03/10/21 18:26
Author: AVR3001

Your observation is correct.  A new customer has built a sidetrack for receiving lumber in Milton, DE.

Date: 03/10/21 18:29
Author: MdRailfan

cr2581 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The lumber cars go to Yoder & Sons in Greenwood.
>  There is a tremendous amount of new housing
> starts in Kent County and what you see here is
> used for framing.
So Yoder is what was Nanticoke Homes? Did Nanticoke get lumber by rail or is this new since being took over by Yoder?

Date: 03/10/21 21:58
Author: Pumbaamd

AVR3001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your observation is correct.  A new customer has
> built a sidetrack for receiving lumber in Milton,
> DE.
So we have lumber loads for both Greenwood and Milton?  Any other customers on the Milton branch?  How far east does that line continue? Rode the DInner train some  30 years ago. ?   

Date: 03/11/21 05:48

Yes, two lumber recievers, one in Milton.  One additinal customer on the branch, also in Milton.

Date: 03/11/21 19:03
Author: Pumbaamd

How far east towards Rehoboth do they work?

Date: 03/12/21 07:00

Milton is on a remnant of the MD DE & VA RR, which crossed the peninsular from Love Point on the western shore, across the Delmarva Secondary at Greenwood, across the Indian River Secondary at Ellendale to Lewes on the eastern shore.  This line later became the Baltimore & Eastern RR.  By 1941 much of the line had been rationalized or abandoned and the remnant from Ellendale to Milton became the PRR Milton Branch .  Today, the ex-PRR Milton Branch is served by DCR, connects with the Indian River Secondary at Ellendale, extends eastward to Milton and ends.  The line to Rehoboth was a different line of railroad known as the PRR Rehoboth Branch, which extended generally eastward from Georgetown (MP 0.0), through Lewes (MP 14.3) to Rehoboth (MP 19.7).  Today, the surviving segment of this ex-PRR line is served by DCR, connects with the Indian River Secondary at Georgetown, extends eastward to Cool Spring (MP 8.0) and ends.

Date: 03/12/21 14:41
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0605 seconds