Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A day of railfanning in central Florida

Date: 04/14/21 23:16
A day of railfanning in central Florida
Author: wpamtk

My family and I spent last week visiting the theme parks in the Orlando area. While they had a rest day on Thursday I went out for a bit of railfanning. First stop was SunRail's Poinciana station, the south end of the line. 
Photos 1 & 2--Engine 104 departs with Train #314. According to The Diesel Shop website, this unit started out as Illinois Central GP40 #3055. 
Photo 3--103 has arrived with Train #311. It was originally Seaboard Coast Line GP40 #1632. These have to be the most bizarre-looking US locomotives I've ever seen. 
More...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/21 23:38 by wpamtk.

Date: 04/14/21 23:25
Re: A day of railfanning in central Florida

Next was a visit to Plant City, where the former ACL and SAL cross.The community has made the depot into a railroad museum and built a two-story railfan viewing platform at the diamonds.
Photo 4--This view shows the former station building on the left and railfan platform on the right, flanking the diamonds.
Photo 5--Displayed at the station are an SAL caboose and a Whitcomb critter painted in ACL colors.
Photo 6--Thanks to PSR, a three-hour wait produced nothing but this local.
More...

Date: 04/14/21 23:37

Then I went to Tampa to see and ride the "TECO trolley" which links downtown and Ybor City (now a dining and entertainment district).  The line uses several replica streetcars built by Gomaco, including one open car. They are very nicely done and quite realistic, although I could do without the advertising wraps. Most of the line runs alongside streets and at one point crosses a CSX line at grade. Currently the rides are free.
Photo 7--Car 430 makes a stop enroute to the Ybor City end of the line.
Photo 8--"Breezer" 1976 passes under the Centro Ybor arch in the heart of the former cigar-making district.
Photo 9--Car 433 prepares to depart downtown Tampa.

Date: 04/15/21 07:13
Author: rbenko

Nice shots - thanks for sharing.

What kind of passenger loading does SunRail have these days?  Here in West Palm Beach, TriRail ridership (basically West Palm Beach to Miami on the old SAL) seems to be absolutely dismal, even with Brightline (WPB to Miami on the FEC) still shut down.  Admittedly this is just my impression by seeing trains around the WPB station, but every one I've seen since the covid restart (in the dozens) seems to be almost devoid of passengers.  I'll see if I can find some ridership numbers.

Date: 04/15/21 08:14
Author: Darthsimpletext

I know how you feel, too much theme park and getting shook up by rides and harassed by characters, one day, just even one day, offers you time away from seeing tinker bell and a break to see all the trains Tampa and orlando has to offer

nick

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/21 08:16 by Darthsimpletext.

Date: 04/15/21 08:36
Author: Lackawanna484

Tri-Rail gets (got?) a lot of business from employees going to the Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports.  There are always uniformed flight personnel with roller bags at the stations. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds