Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Altoona - Horseshoe Curve - Hotels

Date: 05/15/21 14:05
Altoona - Horseshoe Curve - Hotels
Author: DFWJIM

Hi all,

My wife and I will be visiting Altoona, Horseshoe Curve, the last week of May and we plan to spend at least one night in Altoona. I have been checking on hotels in Altoona and their reviews but I would be interested in any recommendations that you all might have regarding hotels in the area.

Thanks for your help.

Date: 05/15/21 15:27
Re: Altoona - Horseshoe Curve - Hotels
Author: nydepot

We always do Hampton Inn Altoona. Nearby eating (like Eat n' Park), grocery & drug store, on-off ramp to the highway and local street to HSC. Never had an issue there in all the years I've been there.

Date: 05/15/21 16:19
Author: ns1000

I have been staying at the Comfort Inn (fairly comfortable rooms). Before that, I stayed at the Super 8.

Holiday Inn Express isn't bad either.

Date: 05/15/21 17:20
Author: Passfanatic

Wingate by Windham, located in Downtown Altoona is nice! I stayed there about two years ago. It's within walking distance of all of the good railfanning spots and train museum in Downtown Altoona. There are some excellent street overpasses to view the action as well as a pedestrian overpass over the Amtrak station platform on the east end.

Date: 05/15/21 18:47
Author: BMH

Second Passfanatic, Stayed at the Wingate several times, clean, helpful staff and decent price.
BMH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/21 18:47 by BMH.

Date: 05/15/21 20:36
Author: WLE2679

Fairfield and Townplace Inn (its a combo motel) by Marriot.  Newer motel opened in 2018 I think.  Nice breakfast and nice rooms. 

Date: 05/15/21 21:06
Author: P

I would recommend the Wingate by Wyndham as it is downtown and a very short walk to the pedestrian overpass over the tracks which is literally right next to the museum.
I stayed in the Hampton Inn last month and can highly recommend it as well. It has a heated pool with hot tub, but it is not walkable to anywhere but a restaurant that it shares a parking lot with. Either one is very nice.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/16/21 08:56
Author: RuleG

These recommendations are useful should I ever decide to attend an evening game of the Altoona Curve.  Thanks to everyone who posted their recommendations.

Date: 05/16/21 19:30
Author: OCtrainguy

WLE2679 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fairfield and Townplace Inn (its a combo motel) by
> Marriot.  Newer motel opened in 2018 I think. 
> Nice breakfast and nice rooms. 

I second this one.  My wife, the kids and I stayed there in late May 2019.  Really nice hotel and our room had a stove in case we wanted to eat in.  They also had grills in the back, so we grilled burgers and Amish ring bologna for dinner one night.  Really enjoyed that hotel. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds