Home Open Account Help 180 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > IHB's unique slug set

Date: 06/06/21 07:21
IHB's unique slug set
Author: ghemr

Here's a few photos of IHB's freshly-painted mother/slug set consisting of SW1500 #1500 and PB1 (power booster). The PB1 is unique in that it carries a fuel tank.

Photos taken on 6-6-21 at Summit, Illinois

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/21 17:45 by ghemr.

Date: 06/06/21 09:51
Re: IHB's unique slug set
Author: dschlegel

Neat!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/06/21 11:47
Author: DevalDragon

I'm glad to see the IHB spending the money to get these things repainted and looking good.

You don't see that much anymore.

Date: 06/06/21 13:45
Author: 3rdswitch

Good looking pair, great "retro" paint job. I "think" that MAY be an air reservoir rather than a fuel tank?
JB

Date: 06/06/21 13:57
Author: ns2557

Weren't those PB units on IHB Brake Sleds? If indeed that is an air tank on it, would make sense. Ben

Date: 06/06/21 14:07
Author: ghemr

That is indeed a fuel tank----there's a 10' (or so) pipe at the top which is the filler. The reason is because the "Harbor" fuels their locomotives at Gibson Yard (Hammond, IN) due to fuel cost savings. This slug (not brake sled) has been assigned to Argo for 25+ years. At one time the tank was off a GE locomotive------looking closely at it now it looks like they may have retrofitted with one from an EMD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/21 17:47 by ghemr.

Date: 06/06/21 19:14
Author: calumet

ghemr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  That is indeed a fuel tank----there's a 10' (or
> so) pipe at the top which is the filler. The
> reason is because the "Harbor" fuels their
> locomotives at Gibson Yard (Hammond, IN) due
> to fuel cost savings. This slug (not brake
> sled) has been assigned to Argo for 25+ years.
> At one time the tank was off a GE
> locomotive------looking closely at it now it looks
> like they may have retrofitted with one from an
> EMD

Thanks much for the photos.  PB1 is the only active PB-type slug in service nowadays.  PB2/3 are both stored and rumor has it they will be scrapped.  PB4/5 are long gone.

IHB plans to convert three of the four-axle gensets to slugs and pair them with the recently acquired ex-CN widecab Geep 40s (#s 4020-22).

All of theSW1500s, Geep 38s and 40s will be--or already have been--rebuilt by Metro East Industries, and will wear the new paint scheme shown above.  It closely resembles IHB's very first scheme from the late 1940s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/21 19:49 by calumet.

Date: 06/07/21 17:46
Author: kevink

You beat me to it! I saw these on 5/29 but the light wasn't optimal. I've been over there three times since then only to have them blocked or parked too far away. Here's some pics of them back in 2018. You can see there used to be a GE fuel tank atop PB1. I alos threw in a pic of the caboose...er.. shoving platform 35.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1009 seconds