Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Amtrak in D&H Land Today

Date: 06/22/21 16:42
Amtrak in D&H Land Today
Author: train1275

Tuesday June 22, 2021

D&H Land hosted another CAF / Amtrak Special today with Amtrak units 117 and 122.

New Viewliner II Sleepers are:

AMTRAK 62521 Tombigbee River 
AMTRAK 62520 Tiffin River 
AMTRAK 62522 Trout River
Food Service Car 48189 Which went deadhead down the day before.

1. - 3.  Running across the iconic Harpursville High Bridge, Harpursville, NY.

Brush and vegetation is a bumper crop this year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/21 18:41 by train1275.

Date: 06/22/21 16:51
Re: Amtrak in D&H Land Today
Author: train1275

4. - 6.

And seen passing through Otego, NY south of Oneonta with Old Glory flying high.
Coming and going on a line that has not seen a regular passenger train since January 25, 1963.

However, over the years many passenger extras have run from the D&H Sesquicentennial Trains in 1973 to prior years with RS-3's and 5000 series Alcos to PA's and a variety of other power over many years. Amtrak however was never in the picture here providing regular service.

I recall circa 1983 an Amtrak Special from Albany? that went to Oneonta. I know I shot Kodachrome Slides of F40PH's in Oneonta but have searched 2 years for them and can't find them. No worries, still plenty of yellow boxes to go through. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/21 16:52 by train1275.

Date: 06/22/21 19:40
Author: Gonut1

Wow! Thanks for a really great post!
I caught a lot of new Acelas in their shrink wrap when being delivered by Conrail, when new, to 30th Street Station inPhiladelphia. Unfortunately I was shooting analog video during that era. I should have been shooting 35mm with my K-1000, digital camcorders weren't common, if available at all then. So be it. The converted videos I have are barely OK.
 I have a super set of pre-delivery drawings of all the original Acelas that I received from a friend who's father was inspecting the new train sets. I never had a resourse to scan them. They are rather long roll drawings. Not blue prints but nice black on white prints. I wouldn't mind sharing them if anyone can direct me to somewhere that can scan them?
Gonut

Date: 06/23/21 03:40
Author: AMRAIL

As you can see, the CAF cars are still being delivered, even though they are sway backed.

Date: 06/23/21 06:23
Author: Locoinsp

Nice photos, Doug! Get your photos while you can as there are not too many more cars left in the order to be completed. Most of the workers have been laid off at CAF due to the Amtrak program winding down.

Date: 06/23/21 08:42
Author: rbenko

AMRAIL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As you can see, the CAF cars are still being
> delivered, even though they are sway backed.

Is this necessarily a sign of a bad build?  I've seen pics of locomotives with this same swayback (notably some BCRail cowl units), and they've been running around for 30+ years.

Date: 06/23/21 08:51
Author: aehouse

AMRAIL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As you can see, the CAF cars are still being
> delivered, even though they are sway backed.

There's always someone who finds horseshit under every pony.

Date: 06/23/21 09:12
Author: NPRocky

A lot of home-built Milwaukee Road cars looked sway-backed.  Never knew if that meant anything structurally.  The things ran safely for years.  By the way, there should be two sleepers left.  I'll bet we see those in about a month.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.059 seconds