Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A three hour wait

Date: 07/29/21 18:01
A three hour wait
Author: srman

Patience is a virtue and I sure had a lot of it yesterday. I'm sure many of us have had experiences like this many times. For the past few years I've heard about INRD's Tulip Trestle 
which is about 75 miles southwest of Indianapolis near the town of Bloomfield Indiana. Now through my sources I had been told that INRD train SAHW was called at 4PM in Indy and to expext him to be on Tulip anywhere after 5:30. O.K. I probably arrived a little early, 4:30 however I didn't want to to miss this shot. You are pretty much in the middle of no where out there. Very quiet with lots of birds and bees being the only noise heard. One time I heard some rustling in the woods and figured it was deer. Nope out came running a couple of coyotes. Lots more waiting. 5 PM, 6PM and then 7PM. The only advantage from all this wating was that as the sun started setting in the west it was starting to illuminate the north side of the trestle. It's 7:15. Did I hear a rumble? A few minutes past. A horn!! Yes finally!! At 7:30 he slowly starts his approach over the trestle. Two SD9043MAC's the second one being their 25th anniversary unit followed by a couple of GP's. Attached are three images as he crossed Tulip. Thanks for looking.

Date: 07/29/21 18:15
Re: A three hour wait
Author: NixonRocks

I've been there but never saw a train on the bridge

Your pictures are the next best thing

Date: 07/29/21 18:31
Author: tq-07fan

Nice pictures. If you look at the Google reviews the three that come up all say they would have liked to have seen a train so you did good.

Jim

Date: 07/29/21 18:44
Author: refarkas

Well-crafted scenic views.
Bob

Date: 07/29/21 20:26
Author: P

Hard to beleive that I know someone who walked across that bridge.  Yikes..

Date: 07/30/21 00:03
Author: boejoe

Dedication paid off.  #3 is really impressive.

Date: 07/30/21 04:23
Author: jmbreitigan

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dedication paid off.  #3 is really impressive.

I also agree that Photo #3 is impressive as you see more of the train. Glad you waited it out.
John

Date: 07/30/21 06:59
Author: Gonut1

Thanks for waiting, sitting in the wilderness waiting for anything is always an interesting experience. Nice images.
Go

Date: 07/30/21 08:44
Author: ShortlinesUSA

P Wrote:
> Hard to beleive that I know someone who walked
> across that bridge.  Yikes..

A couple of people were almost killed doing just that within the past couple of years.  Trespassing on the bridge has been problematic over the years.  I believe there are now fences on the west approach slope to stop people from wandering up onto the tracks.  Many visitors probably don't even realize trains still run across the trestle.

Date: 07/30/21 09:32
Author: wabash2800

Yes, two girls were almost killed on the other big trestle at Lake Lemon. At the last minute, they laid down btw the rails and were not injured... It is live on video if you want to look for it. Rightfully, they were charged.

Victor

ShortlinesUSA Wrote:
>
> A couple of people were almost killed doing just
> that within the past couple of years. 

Date: 07/31/21 16:40
Author: ns1000

NIICE..!!

Date: 08/01/21 15:10
Author: bobk

Great shots, especially #3!

Date: 08/11/21 11:44
Author: SD45X

Yup, waited many times there. Did score twice.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds