Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > KCS military train over the LIRC

Date: 09/10/21 19:52
KCS military train over the LIRC
Author: srman

Yesterday I had a nice chase over the LIRC with some KCS Belles as leaders. The day before a friend of mine had notified me that the NS with KCS power was heading to Louisville Kentucky. Later I heard the LIRC dispatcher tell a crew that it was to pickup the train. Then shortly after 7AM yesterday my radio came alive with the LIRC JXTR asking for an EC1 to head north with KCS 4009. The chase was on. To add more interest SD70ACe 4009 was a Saluting KCS Heroes special painted unit. Now the LIRC really books along these days since their track was upgraded a few years ago so I knew my chances of catching it was limited. Two at best and maybe three. First shot was at Memphis then with I-65 running along nearby the chase was on for the shot I really wanted at Columbus with the old Pennsylvania RR bridge crossing the Flatrock River. Made it with about fifteen minutes to spare. Then it was on to Camp Atterbury which is about 35 miles south of Indianapolis where the LIRC has a lead to the Camp. A fast however a good chase. Thanks for looking.  

Date: 09/10/21 21:55
Re: KCS military train over the LIRC
Author: dcmkris

Cool catch with a pretty sweet power combo on it. I could be wrong but this is likely part of the 800 troops mostly MP's & medical staff coming from Ft Hood, TX to help with
the Afghani evacuees who arriving to Camp Atterbury.

Date: 09/11/21 06:26
Author: 3rdswitch

Great trio. Have never seen a shot of that unit.
JB

Date: 09/11/21 15:53
Author: santafedan

The cars are at the base now.

Date: 09/12/21 06:52
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for sharing. Haven't seen that unit yet.

Is Camp Atterbury named for the former president of the Pennsylvania Railroad?

Posted from Android

Date: 09/12/21 09:57
Author: dcmkris

Yes its named in honor of Brigader General William Wallace Atterbury. He took a leave of abscence from the PRR to serve in France during WWI. While there he helped to lead construction of several ports & the portion of French 
railways that were under control of the American Expeditionary Forces. He was instrumental in reorganizing shipment of goods & equipment to make it much more efficent. He would be awarded the US Army Distinguished Service Medal for this effort. He was born in New Albany, IN which is about an hour south of Camp Atterbury.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds