Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Train 205 on the Nickel Plate Today with Snow - Lake Erie Land

Date: 01/18/22 08:55
Train 205 on the Nickel Plate Today with Snow - Lake Erie Land
Author: train1275

Tuesday January 18, 2022

Train 205 can go either the Nickel Plate route out of Cleveland or the Chicago Line. So too the eastbounds 206 and 22K may take either the Chicago Line through town or take the connector and go east over the NKP.  Train 315 is a westbound that uses this NKP line between Cleveland and Vermilion too.

So from where I am, it is really hard to get intel that will allow a shot of a westbound here at "KM" where the double track from Lorain goes back to single for westbounds on the east side of Vermilion. Train 315 can be unpredictable if it has work at Sheffield, but the intermodal rolls right through. The trick is the get intel timely enough and to have the right light, or lack thereof and to park oneself up on the Route 6 overpass and wait patiently .... patience may be a virtue but maybe I'm not the most virtuous sort. So it has been months trying to get this shot. If the sun is fully out the train is usually a little back lit or side lit or full of shadows from the tree / brush line on the right. Not enough lead time on the intel and you miss it. Well today it all lined up and here we see Train 205 west on the Nickel Plate passing through "KM" and when he gets west of town he will switch over onto the connector to the Chicago Line for the rest of the run west to Sandusky, Toledo and Chicago.

The snow packed power consists of: BNSF 4245, 796 and NS 8079.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/22 08:56 by train1275.

Date: 01/18/22 09:14
Re: Train 205 on the Nickel Plate Today with Snow - Lake Erie Lan
Author: JPB

Very nice! I saw this train scoot by the North East Live cam in a cloud of pre-dawn snow this AM. Are those head-out blue containers trash containers?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/18/22 09:44
Author: train1275

Yes, I believe they are trash.

Date: 01/18/22 10:55
Author: MGA2300

Where can I find that North East live cam?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/18/22 11:29
Author: JPB

MGA2300 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where can I find that North East live cam?
>
> Posted from iPhone

Click on the live cam link at the Lakeshore Railway Museum web site:

https://lakeshorerailway.com/

Date: 01/18/22 11:48
Author: OldPorter

Thanks for the Series. Anything Nickel Plate (new or old) is gold with me. Spent some childhood summers on the Farm in Argos, which was next to the NKP Indiana Main.
The historic NYC & St.L  certainly was was a First Rate medium sized Railroad in its day, as we all know.

Date: 01/18/22 11:53
Author: Gonut1

Nicely done!
Go

Date: 01/18/22 13:06
Author: ns1000

I like Pic 3!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0671 seconds