Home Open Account Help 162 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Belle Meade Depot: It's still standing!

Date: 05/08/22 13:21
Belle Meade Depot: It's still standing!
Author: Pattenburg

Haven't been down to the Belle Meade (NJ) Depot in a while along CSX's Trenton Line and decided Sunday would be the day for me to see if it was still standing. Despite a roof that appears to be sagging a little more on this visit, a few more slate roof tiles missing and vegetation growing out of the roof's openings, this former Reading depot is still holding its own against Father Time and Mother Nature. I will say that the people that built this depot back in 1919 certainly constructed it to last. Seen here is a CSX westbound general merchandise train, symbol unknown, led by CSX 706 and DPU, which was CSX 919, passing by the old depot.

Date: 05/08/22 14:52
Re: Belle Meade Depot: It's still standing!
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the update. There have been many proposals of use for the old station, but $$, seem to be in short supply

Date: 05/08/22 17:49
Author: dschlegel

The roof is definitely sagging more. I like the reflection of the locomotive in the puddle!

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/09/22 03:30
Author: steamfan759

We are fortunate that the Hopewell and Pennington stations are in much better condition.  I wish that I could remember when that Reading line was four tracks.  I also remember the tower at Belle Meade that was a little south of the depot.  I only remember the line as two tracks.  I am glad that I rode a couple of fantrips behind steam over this line!!

Ron

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds