Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Coal behind steam today

Date: 09/23/22 19:32
Coal behind steam today
Author: sscannella

The Reading, Blue Mountain, and Northern operated another revenue run for their 2102 today, in advance of tomorrow's three passenger trips out of Schuylkill Haven, PA.   They ran the 2102 lite to wye it near Pottsville (can you say Yuengling beer!), then pulled 50 loads from Cressona, PA to North Reading, and ran lite then back north to wye it again prior to tomorrow's trips.  I only had a window of a couple hours mid-day to make the 50+ mile run east from Harrisburg to catch it around Hamburg, PA.   As I was prepping to hike into the old PRR Schuylkill Branch bridge between Hamburg and Port Clinton, a RBMN empty hopper came north and stopped on the siding obscuring the overhead view from the bridge.  So I had to settle for these grade crossing shots at the south end of the siding at the Industrial Rd grade crossing just north of I-78.   Fortunately, there will be a few more opportunities to get this beauty this fall.  

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/22 19:44 by sscannella.

Date: 09/23/22 19:33
Re: Coal behind steam today
Author: refarkas

Well done!
Bob

Date: 09/23/22 20:00
Author: Gonut1

So, It's been a few years since I was 6 years old, living in West Conshohocken, PA. Our family rented an apartment that occupied the 2nd and 3rd floors of a building overlooking the Reading Mainline to Philadelphia. I would hear the eastbound approaching coal trains pulled by the T-1s and would venture to the empty front room of the 3rd floor to see the engine's sparks and glowing fireboxes. After watching the loco going east I would fall asleep waiting for the caboose markers. Mom or Dad would find me asleep on the floor the next morning.
 When my kids were little we went to see the T-1 run on the Lansdale North Penn trains just before the T-1 was retired. I've got lots of videos (old analog). The older son remembers them, the younger son, no. I really need to get up to Reading and see the T-1 again. Maybe I can get the 27 and 32 year old sons to join in!
 I would never have thought after my Dad took us to see a Reading Ramble run through Schwenksville in, what was it 1959? That a T-1 would still be running! WoW!
Incredibly great stuff!
Gonut

Date: 09/24/22 00:03
Author: MaryMcPherson

And this was going on while our steam shoot in Cumberland went kaput with a cold engine.

$*%*##$&%$^$!!!!!!!!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 09/24/22 08:30
Author: timz

Revenue coal on RBM&N is always anthracite?

Date: 09/24/22 08:50
Author: sscannella

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Revenue coal on RBM&N is always anthracite?

Yes

Date: 09/25/22 10:24
Author: RBMN-ENGR

Just an FYI, this is the south end of 2 miles of double track. 2102 came south on Main 1 and the empty hopper train was on Main 2. 
Thanks for sharing these photos!

Chris Bost
Leesport, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0568 seconds