Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The Station Inn - Cresson, PA

Date: 09/24/22 18:26
The Station Inn - Cresson, PA
Author: JUTower

Hi all,
My wife and I purchased the venerable Station Inn back in May of this year from Tom Davis’ family after Tom passed away in the fall. For those who aren’t familiar, Tom started the Inn back in 1993 as a destination for railfans visiting the area - we are minutes from Horseshoe Curve and not much further from the Altoona Railroaders Museum, the Everett Railroad, and other great locations. Our friends at Western Maryland Scenic and the East Broad Top are reasonable drives. And of course, the die hard fans have plenty of photo locations near and far, including RJ Corman who still runs classic EMD’s on coal and grain trains in the area. We have fixed up a few things, added better wifi, a new metal roof, and other more subtle improvements. Several of the prior staff are again serving our guests including Chris as the breakfast kitchen master. We have plenty of availability in October and plan to keep the place open over the winter - if you haven’t been up for a weekend in the snow, that’s definitely worth a look. Online availability and booking is a click away on our new website, www.stationinnpa.com. For guests old and new, we hope you give us a try.
Thanks for reading.
Best regards,
J. Alex & Leah Lang

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/24/22 18:34
Re: The Station Inn - Cresson, PA
Author: cinder

Great stay from which to chase trains.

Date: 09/24/22 19:17
Author: MaryMcPherson

I would have loved to set something up with the trip we are currently on, as we are staying a couple of nights in Altoona.  Unfortunately, we didn't know the status of things.  Perhaps next time!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 09/24/22 20:03
Author: Gonut1

So that is where you ended up Alex Lang. I recall reading your posts years ago online, back in the dark ages, and often wondered where you may have gone. What was it, "Rails Northeast"? I recall printing the daily issue at work and would sit in my car and read the latest news while enjoying my meal away from the idiot people I worked with. I've been to Cresson, but not in many years, and I'll probably never be there again but good luck with the purchase and tradition of the Inn. Not so many trains today but the ones taht still run are sure a lot longer!
Gonut alias Go

Date: 09/24/22 21:22
Author: stevelv

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been to Cresson, but not in many years, and
> I'll probably never be there again but good luck
> with the purchase and tradition of the Inn. 

Don't write yourself off Go.  Hope you can make it to Cresson again.  The Station Inn is an awesome place to visit and should be on any railfans bucket list.  It's worth another trip and the transition in ownership has been seamless since Alex and Leah took over and have continued to build on the legacy of the original proprietor Tom Davis.  Aunt Pat is a very friendly hospitable Inn keeper and coupled with the relaxation and multitude of passing trains life doesn't get much better.
Steve Benkovitz 
Henderson, NV

Date: 09/25/22 07:39
Author: DJ-12

The Allegheny Mountains are a treat in all seasons but especially the fall, and the colors towards the top of the mountain can be especially vibrant even in years where other areas peter out. The Inn is a great base of operations for anyone who seeks trains in the color season. Nothing like sitting on the porch on a cool fall evening watching the parade after a long day on the mountain.

The Station Inn became a special place for so many under Tom Davis's stewardship and it is good hands with Alex and Leah today. They are two of the best people I know and saying that taking over the inn is a labor of love doesn't really adequately describe their great work to guide this special place towards the future. Here's a sampling of what can be had using the inn as a base for operations:

1. Amtrak's Pennsylvanian sails by the front porch during a quick pause while enjoying biscuits and gravy for breakfast.
2. An NS rack train curves west towards Cresson, about a mile from the inn during peack colors in mid October.
3. An NS shifter has split it's power to work Sonman Mine in Portage, one of several coal operations within a short drive from the inn.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/22 08:04 by DJ-12.

Date: 09/25/22 07:57
Author: DJ-12

Some of my fondest memories are from visiting the inn during winter and IMHO it's an amazing time to visit. It's location on the top of the mountains frequently means those seeking snow shots will find plenty of the white stuff when many other places around the east are drab, barren, and gray. Experiencing a snow quall on the mountain should be a bucket list item for any serious rail photographer. Or if you prefer, just sit back and enjoy the trains from the warmth of the inn while the snow flies.
1. A drag off the South Fork Secondary crawls through Lilly during a winter squall.
2. The warmth of the inn and the company of friends awaits after a day in the snow.
3. Christmas time at the Inn.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/22 08:08 by DJ-12.

Date: 09/25/22 11:07

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So that is where you ended up Alex Lang. I recall
> reading your posts years ago online, back in the
> dark ages, and often wondered where you may have
> gone. What was it, "Rails Northeast"? I recall
> printing the daily issue at work and would sit in
> my car and read the latest news while enjoying my
> meal away from the idiot people I worked with.
> I've been to Cresson, but not in many years, and
> I'll probably never be there again but good luck
> with the purchase and tradition of the Inn. Not so
> many trains today but the ones taht still run are
> sure a lot longer!
> Gonut alias Go
>  
Thanks "Go" - I've been on TO continuously since 1997 or so.  But since I joined the rail industry about 8 years ago I didn't spend as much time online.
Eastern Railroad News is what you're thinking, Kevin Burkholder and I started that back then.  Quite a few of the old ERN gang are still out and about; it's neat to see where some of them have ended up.  Scott Harris, Joe Walder, Jared Hopewell all leading interesting RR careers, for example.

Date: 09/26/22 11:11

Thank you DJ-12 - that's a great series of photos through the seasons!

Date: 10/01/22 02:07
Author: Goremirebob

Looking forward to our booking Oct 31 for 2 nights; Over from the UK for some railfanning. Booked it following the piece in Railfan & Railroad magazine. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0742 seconds