Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Signal Sunday -- with a nod to SantaFe199

Date: 09/24/22 21:13
Signal Sunday -- with a nod to SantaFe199
Author: KimHeusel

I post a Signal Sunday entry today thinking of SantaFe199's series "I Could Really Use a Train." I headed out along the CSX St. Louis Line Sub from Indianapolis Saturday and stopped at Hadley, located west of Indianapolis at MP 24 where CSX has a set of crossovers. At the east end of the interlocking I found the westbound signals, which are depicted here, all red. But in checking the eastbound signals at the other end of the plant I found that track 1 (in this territory that's the track on the left here) lined with a clear signal. "Shazam." I thought. "What a great choice I made to stop here just in case. There should be a train coming by shortly." More that 2 hours later, still no train. But I still got this nifty shot of the signals at the east end. Oh, and that train? I finally did run into it after I left Hadley behind. Maybe next time. And Lance, if you see this, I hope you remember we stopped at Hadley a few years back. Hope it brings back some good memories.

Kim Heusel

Date: 09/25/22 00:36
Re: Signal Sunday -- with a nod to SantaFe199
Author: refarkas

Even without a train, the four signals make this is an interesting scene.
Bob

Date: 09/25/22 06:18
Author: 3rdswitch

Yes, very nice scene.
JB

Date: 09/28/22 17:44
Author: santafe199

I do remember! That's a scene that just cries out for 3-4 burners coming at you from behind the flare of a bright headlight/ditch light package. Faint but unmistakable engine exhaust curls compressed together through about 300mm of tele-boomer glass is icing on the cake for you! Then right after the shot you get the pleasure of feeling the ground shake amidst an all-out assault on your eardrums. Unless the train is a no-show... 

I really can't take credit for making light of something that happens pretty often. I think every one of us has a "no-show" happen from time to time. You find a nice location and do everything right. You're pretty sure a train will be on the way in time. You pick your spot and get set up. Your work your composition until it is spot-on. Then for some reason the RR decides to toss a good old-fashioned skunk job your way. You have no choice but to laugh it off. Since that happens regularly I started taking "coulda ~ shoulda ~ woulda" shots, just for fun. And maybe for some future reference. I have to admit it's turned into a fun thread series. I love to poke fun, especially at myself. And if a shooter can't poke fun at something that cannot be controlled, then a new hobby should be found immediately... ;^)

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/22 17:45 by santafe199.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0413 seconds