Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > You Can Still Find Three Diagonal Yellows in Marion Indiana

Date: 10/02/22 18:47
You Can Still Find Three Diagonal Yellows in Marion Indiana
Author: tq-07fan

I drove up to Portage Indiana on Friday to stay the night and ride the South Shore into Chicago for the CTA 75th Anniversary Celebration on Saturday. I ended up sleeping about ten hours, the first real good night's sleep I've been able to get since returning from Canada and Alaska trip a week ago. I'd rather sleep because when I'm tired I get frustrated driving long distances alone and cuss at everything instead of just the normal stuff like needlessly long stop lights and stuff. I also tend to avoid Interstates if I can, Friday after visiting mom and dad in Dayton I drove out I-70 to IN St Rt 3 to Muncie and county roads to Marion Indiana. Much to my surprise most of the former Pennsylvania Railroad position light signals are up at the diamond between the Marion Branch (ex NYC) and the former Pennsylvania Bradford to Lognasport Mainline. Two high signals and a PL2 tall dwarf and a NYC Trilight are still up at the diamond. The small dwarf has been replaced by a trilight. At CP 78 which had a connection with the NKP at one time both PRR signals are up. These are special as they were moved here during late Penn Central early Conrail years to signal the Marion Branch from Marion up to Goshen. The real surprise was the southbound at CP 78 was lit up for Approach! It was 5:16 pm. I still had a long way to get to Portage. Only one thing to do, drive over to McDonald's to use the toilet and get some Chicken McNuggets and come back, if I missed it I missed it, if I got through those McNuggets with Hot Mustard before the train showed up I would leave, and miss it. Well, the longer than normal wait at McDonald's (short staffed like too many other places) worked in my favor. Before I got the second Mustard opened I heard the horn in the distance. Although it was lite units I was still very excited that everything timed out to see something, anything go by a PRR position light in 2022!
1) It's 5:15 pm. It's took over three hours to go from Dayton Ohio to here and I had an estimated two and half hours to Portage, what to do?
2) Obligatory oncoming shot of the two lite units. I like getting pictures of locals and the crew waved back!
3) Passing the signal right before it dropped. It will go to two Reds. Nothing lined up or something in the block.

Thank you for looking!

Jim

Date: 10/02/22 19:52
Re: You Can Still Find Three Diagonal Yellows in Marion Indiana
Author: Gonut1

Ah! Okay. I guess I'm happy for you?
Go

Date: 10/02/22 19:58
Author: pdt

amazingly, i believe there are still quite a few old PRR yellow position light signals still operating.....
and even tho many of the high signals have been changed to color position,  i believe the aspects and meanings are still pretty much the same.

Pedestal signals and dwarfs, AFAIK...are still orig PRR yellow position lights.

Also...idk what's with the LIRR..I know the automatic signals are gone...but i think their home signals are still PRR yellow position....
someone can correct me....

Date: 10/03/22 02:29
Author: inrdjlg

So did you cuss when the hot mustard got cold while you were shooting the NS lite power?  LOL. 

(FWIW I cussed when I tried to enter my Trainorders.com username and password so I could post the above comment, and it didn't take the first time.)    

Ah, yes, the Marion Branch (NYC) interlocking at Third Street, Marion!  

Date: 10/03/22 18:01
Author: justalurker66

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> amazingly, i believe there are still quite a few old PRR yellow position light signals still operating.....

A lot less after the Marion Branch lost the rest of the PRR signals from Goshen to Wabash (which also affected the position light signals on the CFER in Warsaw). Wabash to Marion lost position lights about 25 years ago. Most of the local rail fans expected the two CPs in Marion to be next. The area was marked for underground utiliies a couple of years ago but all that was lost was the small dwarf EB at the diamond. The final signals could easily have been "all gone"

Date: 10/04/22 04:03
Author: junctiontower

There are also still a few Tri-lites left betwen Marion and Wabash. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0856 seconds