Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Fall in Northern Ohio

Date: 10/08/22 16:41
Fall in Northern Ohio
Author: train1275

Saturday October 8, 2022

A beautiful fall day today and we tried to get out and record some train images with mixed results. The sun was harsh and the shadows were deep making for difficult exposures and then mix in the clouds and ...... well it was more challenging then expected.

We went to the Big Four at Wellington, OH (CSX) off Jones Road and then also caught the Lorain & West Virginia with their E8. After that it was back to Vermilion, but just after arriving we heard that NS Train 310 had spilled itself off the Columbus Street overpass in Sandusky coming through crossovers. That pretty much ended our day. Not sure what the fallout will be with the derailment. Heard there were no injuries.

1. & 2.  CSX 504 brings C&D west at Jones Road west of Wellington, OH

3.  The foliage this year here is pretty nice with a fair amount of reds and yellows. Zarcharias Farm near Wellington, OH next to the Big Four.

Date: 10/08/22 16:44
Re: Fall in Northern Ohio

4. CSX 7500 and 5259 east on the M568 through the Fall cornfields west of Wellington, OH.

5. & 6. CP 8655 leads Train I-166 east at the same location and then we see the mid-train DPU, CP 8063.

Date: 10/08/22 16:47

7. The orange and red and green containers on the I-166 match the fall surroundings.

8. & 9.  The Lorain & West Virginia tourist line was doing a trip today out of Wellington and so we go to check that out and find the E8 up and ready to go.

Date: 10/08/22 16:49
Author: jgilmore

Great bunch, lots of nice color. Number 1 is esp. good...

JG

Date: 10/08/22 16:51

10. While waiting for the L&WV we had time to do another circuit to check for any CSX activity and sure enough here comes Train I-161 west with CSX 258 and 5295. The signals protect the diamond of the Wheeling & Lake Erie Brewster - Bellevue line crossing.

11. & 12.  The L&WV excursion has departed Wellington and we catch them near the north end of the line near the Pitts Road Crossing. The E8 is ex C&NW 5021B and the coaches are ex Long Island RR.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/22 17:26 by train1275.

Date: 10/08/22 16:59

13. & 14.  The L&WV train pulls north and then backs south. On their return they had an issue with an on-track trespasser and stopped here at Peck-Wadsworth Road to address it.

15.  Back up to the NS Chicago Line at Vermilion we catch the 268 recently departed Sandusky heading east with NS 4537 and 1041. We were waiting for Train 310 with some HZRY locomotives in tow. However, we got word they had derailed in Sandusky over Columbus Avenue and piled things up. So ...... heard no one hurt. 

Latest on the scanner at 7:58 pm is the 16G is about to drag away 310's rear end and they are trying to reset PTC to detour Train 269 over the NKP to go west. It will be a long night on the NS here.

Date: 10/08/22 17:52
Author: refarkas

Great set of photos - The L&WV images really added to the interest.
Bob

Date: 10/08/22 21:00
Author: zars

NS piled up a train in Sandusky today, on top of the Columbus Avenue underpass (or "subway" as they are called in Sandusky).  I was about to ask if it was quiet in Vermilion tonight; but then I realised with most trains taking the Coen Road connector to bypass Sandusky on the NKP that there may not be much difference there.  It is strangely quiet in Huron tonight.

Looks like Amtrak is going to take the NKP to get around Sandusky; too bad it will be at night when they pass.

Date: 10/09/22 00:39
Author: EMD2024

Picture 3 is gorgeous even without a train!

MWPerkins

Posted from Android

Date: 10/09/22 05:09
Author: Notch76

Great mix of clouds and color

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/09/22 05:40

Pretty quiet last night in Vermilion, I suspect some trains are being held rather than detoured.
Heard a 29G detouring this morning and Amtrak went NKP last night to the best of my knowledge (Oak Point to Vermilion).
If I were younger it would have been neat to go out and ride one of them, but I didn't have that much ambition last night to even go see them at 0-Dark-30.

8:47 am - now hearing Train 261 about to make the NKP detour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/22 05:48 by train1275.

Date: 10/09/22 05:46
Author: jkh2cpu

These are really nice. Ohio is great place for a camera in the fall :-)

Date: 10/09/22 06:53
Author: zars

They might even be detouring a few via CSX; to make up for the occasional CSX detours on this track.

Date: 10/09/22 08:22

zars Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They might even be detouring a few via CSX; to
> make up for the occasional CSX detours on this
> track.

I don't know, but I'm blowing it trying to catch the detours. Only got 2 out of 7 this morning. Getting pretty frustrated.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/09/22 15:40
Author: inCHI

Nice shots! In that first photo, and more info about the C&D train? I didn't realize they ran unit trains of that. Is there some specific huge site being demolished to result in that much traffic?

Date: 10/09/22 17:07

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots! In that first photo, and more info
> about the C&D train? I didn't realize they ran
> unit trains of that. Is there some specific huge
> site being demolished to result in that much
> traffic?

Hopefully someone knows more than I do. I wasn't even able to find a symbol for this one.

Date: 10/10/22 14:41
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0845 seconds