Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > KBS at harvest time

Date: 11/19/22 18:41
KBS at harvest time
Author: calumet

The corn and soybean crops have been harvested and it's a busy time of year for the Kankakee, Beaverville & Southern.  In the first shot a long train of grain hoppers is being hauled north on former Milwaukee Road tracckage.  In the second, a train is returning to home base on the former NYC/Big Four with a couple of empties after dropping off a train of loads at Lafayette, Indiana..

KBS power consists of GP38-2M units, which are actually former Geep 40s that have been reconditioned and "deturboed."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/22 18:48 by calumet.

Date: 11/20/22 15:17
Re: KBS at harvest time
Author: ghemr

Thanks for taking the time to post these KB&S shots!

Date: 11/21/22 15:03
Author: kevink

I like that second shot with 4 GP38’s bracketing two classic covered hoppers. Midwest granger shortlines are great for finding 70’s-era covered hoppers still in service.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/22/22 08:07
Author: calumet

kevink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like that second shot with 4 GP38’s bracketing
> two classic covered hoppers. Midwest granger
> shortlines are great for finding 70’s-era
> covered hoppers still in service.
And those on KBS are owned outright by them. Nearly all have KBSR reporting marks.  Llike the first car in the photo, many are forrner Chicago North Western hoppers, still in green paint with the CNW herald painted out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/22 08:10 by calumet.

Date: 11/25/22 21:05
Author: SpecsGTP

Thank you for the KBS shots.  They have been a favorite of mine for years but I only get down that way usually once or twice a year, and even then it's almost always in spring, so there isn't much action.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.069 seconds