Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > US Sugar visit - Thursday 1/19

Date: 01/19/23 18:35
US Sugar visit - Thursday 1/19
Author: sscannella

Currently spending some time in south central Florida observing US Sugar and South Central Florida Express's sugar cane harvesting operations.  I spent the night in Okeechobee after flying into Sanford/Orlando Wednesday, then got a morning start down the east side of the lake hoping to intercept the Ft. Pierce turn, which I was successful in doing so as the came into Canal Point.  Here they are with a recently acquired HLCX SD40-2 6341 of obvious SP heritage along with USSC GP40 505 after making a pickup at Canal point, then again a few miles north passing over a canal approaching Port Mayaca.

Date: 01/19/23 18:45
Re: US Sugar visit - Thursday 1/19

Next I came across the Bryant turn job sitting still through a recently post-harvest burned-out field.   While waiting for them to make their next move back to Clewiston, it gave me the opportunity to explore the adjacent canal to Old Conners Rd looking for gators.   Came across four of them including his guy seen enjoying the mid-January 80-degree sunshine.

The 41 cars of recently harvested sugar can powered by GP40 504 started to move, and it was on to my next locale, the recently constructed and opened US Sugar operated trackage and crossing of the canal below South Bay adjacent to US Rt. 27.  This trackage is operated as an industrial road within US Sugar's fields, whereas the Ft. Pierce turn is on common carrier former FEC trackage operated by US Sugar-owned South Central Florida Express.  It gets a bit confusing at times, but the motive power is shared by both operations.

Date: 01/19/23 18:51

Another view of the Bryant turn job approaching Clewiston at the US Sugar crossing of Evercane Rd.  Heading back toward Clewiston on Evercane Rd, I came across the SCXF "local" job which serves some of the industries which support the sugar industry.  This crossing is SCXF operated trackage.   Next I came across the SCXF Cane 2 job returning to Clewiston from Moore Haven.

Date: 01/19/23 18:57

First up we have a view of one of the special dedicated cane service hoppers used by US Sugar for harvesting.   Then another view of Cane 2 approaching Sonora Ave and the US Sugar planet at Clewiston.   While they were swapping out there train for empties, I had an opportunity to photograph US Sugars former Light Pacific 148 outside their shops, where it was being readied for a special private excursion Friday morning.

Date: 01/19/23 19:08
Author: callum_out

That would be an ex-SP SD40 non dash 2, great pictures, that's a really interesting operation and for a true industrial
quite large.

Out 

Date: 01/19/23 19:10

After a short break, Cane 2 came back out of the plant with empties for the loaders north of Moore Haven, so it was off to the bridge over the Caloosahatchee Canal at Moore Haven.  Speaking with two other gentlemen on the bridge, I learned that the Sebring turn was coming back south, and then heard the two trains discussing plans for a meet.  Then empty cane job had cars for Moore Haven loading sidings 2 & 3, and once they cleared siding 3, the Sebring turn would be able to continue south.  That led to a short wait, and then when they got near the bridge, then needed to switch some covered hoppers on the siding there, so it was a little bit longer for boat traffic to clear and finally the swing bridge was closed and they continued on their journey south.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/19/23 19:22

We see a family on boat in the canal giving the train a good roll-by.  The turn job had some additional switching to do between Moore Haven, which gave me some time to some exploring, then I set up to await their return to Clewiston at the Rt. 27 crossing on the west side of town, adjacent to another of the many irrigation canals.

After that, I had time to quickly check-in to my hotel, then ran out to see if the Cane 2 job would return with more cane loads before the sun decided to set.  The wait was short as I caught him on this trestle crossing over the canal on the opposite side of the Rt 27 crossing.

Date: 01/19/23 19:30

I was able to catch Cane 2 two more times along the canal on both sides of the Rt. 27 crossing, as the trains apparently slow as they approach the crossing.  There was still enough light to try to head to the other side of town to try to get Cane 2 approaching the sugar processing plant, but when I got there, three other cane jobs, including the Bryant turn were following the Ft. Pierce job into the yard behind the plant, and then the local job, shown here, came out with five tank cars heading toward town.  Following him back toward the USSC/SCXF shops, I saw that the Moore Haven cane job was being held west of the shop area.  That wrapped up an extremely busy day, I get another shot at more of these interesting operations Friday.

Date: 01/19/23 20:49
Author: refarkas

Super set - You used that bridge to great advantage in several photos, but my favorite image is the shop photo with the Pacific.
Bob

Date: 01/19/23 22:33
Author: pennsy3750

Looking at Google Earth, it seems the trestle is quite a wqays off the road from the Route 27 crossing.  Were you able to just drive in there without any issues?

Date: 01/20/23 04:11

pennsy3750 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking at Google Earth, it seems the trestle is
> quite a wqays off the road from the Route 27
> crossing.  Were you able to just drive in there
> without any issues?

No issues driving in.  The only issue was that when I jumped out of the truck and walked over to the bank, a gator and I scared the crap out of each other!   But he went into the water and I jumped back a step, and since we bothed moved in directions opposite each other, all was good.

Date: 01/20/23 05:50
Author: DLM

Gators, snakes, and spiders.  What's not to like about railfaning US Sugar trains.  Thanks for the great photos.

Date: 01/20/23 08:27
Author: dwatry

That looks like a really interesting operation.  Thanks for the full reporting.

Date: 01/20/23 12:46
Author: bmarti7

Great series!

PCBill

Date: 01/20/23 17:56
Author: EL833

Nice series of photos ! Did they actually pick up that 6 axle ? First one down there that I've seen over the last 20 years. I almost headed down there prior to my needing to be in McDonough on Sunday, but elected to stay north on my drive from Ohio. Hope to see your 148 photos as well.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 01/20/23 18:47
Author: tq-07fan

My dad and I did part of a day looking at the US Sugar operations in 2014 after seeing it in a guy's slide show. I'd like to go back. 

I like all the pictures but picture 7 with the Bryant Turn and the Sebring Turn crossing US 27 are real nice. Thank you for sharing! 

Jim

Date: 01/21/23 08:44
Author: inrdjlg

I echo everyone else's approval, plus, aside from the trains, that distant tugboat in the Moore Haven photos looks rather intresting.   

Date: 01/21/23 08:59
Author: randyr

I’m currently riding a diesel powered rare mileage excursion as I type. Thank you very much for posting. We did see the “new” ex SP engine in the distance on Friday. Your photos and takes add a lot to help my limited understanding of the US Sugar lines. This is a fascinating operation. Today heading towards Lake Placid we are zipping along at 40 mph in a passenger train on an industrial line. Thanks again for an excellent post!

Randy in PHX

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/23/23 08:41
Author: CRRGator

Some of the cane cars with the open screen sides were built by the now closed Reliable Railcar shops in Green Cove Springs, FL.
10 feet were cut out of the middle of a 50' boxcar, the ends were re-joined and the sides were fabricated. For unloading, the
cars are tilted and the sides swing open from hinges along the top. Super job with the photos and trip description.

Date: 01/23/23 16:27

inrdjlg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I echo everyone else's approval, plus, aside from
> the trains, that distant tugboat in the Moore
> Haven photos looks rather intresting.   

Ryker Beyel - 1,280 HP - http://www.tugboatinformation.com/tug.cfm?id=4518

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0816 seconds