98 car train derailment
Author: farmer

Zanesville Times Recorder
Former Ohio Central

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/21/23 14:33
Re: 98 car train derailment
Author: Jimbo

From Trains News Wire.  Pay wall possible.  Tank cars.  Last contained?

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/cleanup-in-progress-after-genesee-wyoming-derailment-in-ohio/

TRINWAY, Ohio — Cleanup will continue into next week after 98 cars of an Ohio Central Railroad train derailed Thursday near the unincorporated community of Trinway in east central Ohio.

The Zanesville Times Recorder reports 97 empty cars and one loaded car were involved, according to Tom Ciuba, vice president of communications for Genesee & Wyoming, in the derailment which occurred about 3:30 p.m. No injuries were recorded. The cause is under investigation.

Date: 01/21/23 16:19
Author: ctillnc

All 98... really?

Date: 01/21/23 16:44
Author: farmer

ctillnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All 98... really?

Another website is saying all 98 cars went across a shut derail.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/21/23 16:45
Author: icancmp193

Wouldn't someone have noticed as this unfolded?

TJY

Date: 01/21/23 17:05
Author: Gonut1

It appears there are many sidings in that immediate area built where railcars can be stored. They are all single ended on an OOS built by adding switches onto an old parallel tree-lined track. I can picture shoving an empty string of tank cars into one of these sidings and if the cars remained in line they could all have hopped over the derail with enough axles staying on the rails to prevent accordianning the string. When I first read this I pictured a huge pile-up on a mainline.
Go

Date: 01/21/23 18:16
Author: P

icancmp193 Wrote:
> Wouldn't someone have noticed as this unfolded?
>
> TJY

You mean like the conductor in the caboose?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/21/23 18:39
Author: ALCO630

Shouldn’t somebody have been riding the end of the shovel?

Posted from iPhone

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 01/21/23 18:53
Author: SNY1337

From the pictures online it looks like it was a chain reaction with empty tank cars. When one started to roll over it took all the other cars with it in line like a snake! The tank cars all look like they are all still coupled together on their sides

Posted from Android

Date: 01/21/23 19:53
Author: mp208

Tight lock (shelf) couplers on tank cars will do that...especially on empties.  Domino effect.

Date: 01/22/23 05:06
Author: PlyWoody

Rolling bearing journals running any distance while derailed have to be replaced.  An expensive derailment. 

Date: 01/22/23 06:43
Author: JOHNY5ALIVE

PlyWoody Wrote:
> Rolling bearing journals running any distance
> while derailed have to be replaced.  An expensive
> derailment. 

That’s is an utterly and completely false statement/claim. Another incorrect and fake post by Plywoody. Derailed roller bearing wheels set do not automatically have to replaced, however, they do have to be inspected to ensure they are not damaged. Please make sure you know the facts and regulations before posting incorrect information.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/23/23 19:35
Author: PlyWoody

I posted that just to get your GOAT. Now explain to everyone the procedure of inspecting every bearing on 98 cars.  Are the axles removed from the truck frame?  Are the caps taken off the bearing and opened?   Are you trying to say it is not an expensive derailment?  Rather than attract posters, why don't you just add your knowledge for others to  learn. 

Date: 01/24/23 04:13
Author: JOHNY5ALIVE

PlyWoody Wrote:
> I posted that just to get your GOAT. Now explain
> to everyone the procedure of inspecting every
> bearing on 98 cars.  Are the axles removed from
> the truck frame?  Are the caps taken off the
> bearing and opened?   Are you trying to say it
> is not an expensive derailment?  Rather than
> attract posters, why don't you just add your
> knowledge for others to  learn. 

Plywoody— your post speaks volumes about your mental state. First of all I never said it wasn’t an expensive derailment. In fact, I never mentioned anything about cost. Secondly, for the record you have finally admitted you post false and incorrect information and your credibility is really nil and void. Thirdly, and to answer your question yes every derailed axle/wheel is supposed to be removed from the truck and receive a thorough inspection. Fourth, I am not trying to “attract” posters but calling out your false and misleading claim and statements of which you obviously don’t know what you are taking about. And finally, did you ever read up to completely understand the definition of what a “common carrier” is and means? Fifth, no the bearing caps are not removed.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/27/23 03:56
Author: banks2

Yes, the conductor or utility should have beed riding the shove. That crew need to do some splanin.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds