Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15


Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


Date: 01/22/23 06:33
Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: gcw

Police finally identified the driver of the vehicle that was left on the tracks at Ashland VA last Sunday:

Driver charged in vehicle, train collision in Ashland (nbc12.com)



Date: 01/22/23 07:50
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: Lackawanna484

If the vehicle didn't have insurance, wasn't being chased, and wasn't stolen, I wonder what Lizzeth's game was?

Thanks for the update

Posted from Android



Date: 01/22/23 08:56
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: Sou6134

I spoke with someone from Ashland on Friday, they said this was not an easy run down, several police departments were involved. This person did not know the motive. They also confirmed that all crossings in Ashland were blocked, that the fire truck from Ashland VFD had to go about 3 miles north of town to find an unblocked crossing. They only got about halfway to the accident site before they were told to return to the station since they were not needed.



Date: 01/22/23 10:55
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: ClubCar

Sou6134 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I spoke with someone from Ashland on Friday, they
> said this was not an easy run down, several police
> departments were involved. This person did not
> know the motive. They also confirmed that all
> crossings in Ashland were blocked, that the fire
> truck from Ashland VFD had to go about 3 miles
> north of town to find an unblocked crossing. They
> only got about halfway to the accident site before
> they were told to return to the station since they
> were not needed.
I am a small CSX share holder and have been for many years (having owned Chessie System Stock at one time) and I know that this company, like many others across our nation, are trying to squeeze every penny that they can from train operations.  This is why these big railroads operate these super long trains with mid train helpers rather than two separate trains which will require the expense of another train crew.  These large Wall Street Share Owners like these big Hedge Funds and others put a lot of pressure on these companies as they want every cent that they can make for themselves, regardless of safety.  Do NOT let them lie to you.  These share owners do not care if all the grade crossings in an area are completely blocked, as with this unfortunate incident, however since it took the fire department an excessive amount of time by going 3 miles north of town trying to get to this accident, this should wake up America that this could have been a disaster if that train had derailed and some highly combustible material had caught fire as an example.  Maybe a life could have been lost because the fire engine could not make it there fast enough to save someone?  To me this is very serious.  Don't get me wrong, as a shareholder I enjoy being paid dividends like anyone else.  Yet as a person who is concerned about everyone's safety, I would rather receive a smaller dividend payment than to think that my payment was the result of the railroad company saving an extra dollar at the cost of another person's life.  Yes, I truly feel that there should not be any trains over a half mile long no matter what.  Sooner or later something disastrous will happen and I pray every day that no one losses their lives because of these practices of super long trains to save a few dollars, especially when the big shots of the company receive bonuses.
John in White Marsh, Maryland



Date: 01/22/23 11:09
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: WM_1109

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the vehicle didn't have insurance, wasn't being
> chased, and wasn't stolen, I wonder what Lizzeth's
> game was?

I think you answered your own question. No insurance, and the fact that he was unlicensed.
/Ted



Date: 01/22/23 11:19
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: HotWater

WM_1109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If the vehicle didn't have insurance, wasn't
> being
> > chased, and wasn't stolen, I wonder what
> Lizzeth's
> > game was?
>
> I think you answered your own question. No
> insurance, and the fact that he was unlicensed.
> /Ted

It has been established that it was a "she", and NOT a "he".



Date: 01/22/23 14:49
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: P

WM_1109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If the vehicle didn't have insurance, wasn't
> being
> > chased, and wasn't stolen, I wonder what
> Lizzeth's
> > game was?
>
> I think you answered your own question. No
> insurance, and the fact that he was unlicensed.
> /Ted

I missed the answer. What was the reason for this seemingly inexplicable action?

Posted from Android



Date: 01/22/23 15:24
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: WM_1109

HotWater Wrote:
> It has been established that it was a "she", and
> NOT a "he".

Thanks for the update. If you care to verify Lizzeth's preferred pronouns, I'll gladly correct my earlier comment.
/Ted



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/23 15:25 by WM_1109.



Date: 01/22/23 17:48
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: gcw

Sou6134 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> the fire truck from Ashland VFD had to go about 3 miles
> north of town to find an unblocked crossing. They
> only got about halfway to the accident site before
> they were told to return to the station since they
> were not needed.

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming.



Date: 01/22/23 18:47
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: justalurker66

WM_1109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the update. If you care to verify Lizzeth's preferred pronouns, I'll gladly correct my earlier comment.

I have never read as many articles refusing to use any pronouns than the reports on this case. I found one article that refers to the driver by name and uses the pronoun "she" but the direct quotes avoid pronouns. One article apparently blames the vehicle .. in their quest to avoid the pronoun they said "the car" drove under the gates (not the car was driven under the gates). Didn't look like a Tesla to me, but I don't want to car body shame.



Date: 01/22/23 19:06
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: BaltoJoey

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sou6134 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I spoke with someone from Ashland on Friday,
> they
> > said this was not an easy run down, several
> police
> > departments were involved. This person did not
> > know the motive. They also confirmed that all
> > crossings in Ashland were blocked, that the
> fire
> > truck from Ashland VFD had to go about 3 miles
> > north of town to find an unblocked crossing.
> They
> > only got about halfway to the accident site
> before
> > they were told to return to the station since
> they
> > were not needed.
> I am a small CSX share holder and have been for
> many years (having owned Chessie System Stock at
> one time) and I know that this company, like many
> others across our nation, are trying to squeeze
> every penny that they can from train operations. 
> This is why these big railroads operate these
> super long trains with mid train helpers rather
> than two separate trains which will require the
> expense of another train crew.  These large Wall
> Street Share Owners like these big Hedge Funds and
> others put a lot of pressure on these companies as
> they want every cent that they can make for
> themselves, regardless of safety.  Do NOT let
> them lie to you.  These share owners do not care
> if all the grade crossings in an area are
> completely blocked, as with this unfortunate
> incident, however since it took the fire
> department an excessive amount of time by going 3
> miles north of town trying to get to this
> accident, this should wake up America that this
> could have been a disaster if that train had
> derailed and some highly combustible material had
> caught fire as an example.  Maybe a life could
> have been lost because the fire engine could not
> make it there fast enough to save someone?  To me
> this is very serious.  Don't get me wrong, as a
> shareholder I enjoy being paid dividends like
> anyone else.  Yet as a person who is concerned
> about everyone's safety, I would rather receive a
> smaller dividend payment than to think that my
> payment was the result of the railroad company
> saving an extra dollar at the cost of another
> person's life.  Yes, I truly feel that there
> should not be any trains over a half mile long no
> matter what.  Sooner or later something
> disastrous will happen and I pray every day that
> no one losses their lives because of these
> practices of super long trains to save a few
> dollars, especially when the big shots of the
> company receive bonuses.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Wotta load of baloney from clubcar!! ^^^



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/23 23:16 by BaltoJoey.



Date: 01/22/23 21:13
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: csxape7

amybody happen to know what the symbol was om the train involved in the latest aslland incident?



Date: 01/22/23 22:40
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: BrynMawr

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but I, too, am a tiny CSX stockholder mostly because they include the B(est)&O(nly) which I first bought shares in from my HS newspaper route.   That said, I concur eith John.  I might remind all that when John W Snow ran CSX the FRA raked them over the coals about poor track maintenance giving them a specific list of violations.   Do I have to mention the deceased fraud from CP?   
\We, as citizens, charter these companies to provide common carrier services.   We do not guarantee the stockholders a specific ROI.   We CAN abolish the charters.



Date: 01/23/23 05:36
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: tuxedorailfan

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sou6134 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I spoke with someone from Ashland on Friday,
> they
> > said this was not an easy run down, several
> police
> > departments were involved. This person did not
> > know the motive. They also confirmed that all
> > crossings in Ashland were blocked, that the
> fire
> > truck from Ashland VFD had to go about 3 miles
> > north of town to find an unblocked crossing.
> They
> > only got about halfway to the accident site
> before
> > they were told to return to the station since
> they
> > were not needed.
> I am a small CSX share holder and have been for
> many years (having owned Chessie System Stock at
> one time) and I know that this company, like many
> others across our nation, are trying to squeeze
> every penny that they can from train operations. 
> This is why these big railroads operate these
> super long trains with mid train helpers rather
> than two separate trains which will require the
> expense of another train crew.  These large Wall
> Street Share Owners like these big Hedge Funds and
> others put a lot of pressure on these companies as
> they want every cent that they can make for
> themselves, regardless of safety.  Do NOT let
> them lie to you.  These share owners do not care
> if all the grade crossings in an area are
> completely blocked, as with this unfortunate
> incident, however since it took the fire
> department an excessive amount of time by going 3
> miles north of town trying to get to this
> accident, this should wake up America that this
> could have been a disaster if that train had
> derailed and some highly combustible material had
> caught fire as an example.  Maybe a life could
> have been lost because the fire engine could not
> make it there fast enough to save someone?  To me
> this is very serious.  Don't get me wrong, as a
> shareholder I enjoy being paid dividends like
> anyone else.  Yet as a person who is concerned
> about everyone's safety, I would rather receive a
> smaller dividend payment than to think that my
> payment was the result of the railroad company
> saving an extra dollar at the cost of another
> person's life.  Yes, I truly feel that there
> should not be any trains over a half mile long no
> matter what.  Sooner or later something
> disastrous will happen and I pray every day that
> no one losses their lives because of these
> practices of super long trains to save a few
> dollars, especially when the big shots of the
> company receive bonuses.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

What does this after to do with a car getting hit?



Date: 01/23/23 12:07
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: CPMorris

"Lizzeth Calderon Henriquez"   Immigration status, please?



Date: 01/24/23 18:58
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: kjmk

"...And you know where you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,.".
 



Date: 01/26/23 06:19
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: ns1000

tuxedorailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ClubCar Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sou6134 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I spoke with someone from Ashland on Friday,
> > they
> > > said this was not an easy run down, several
> > police
> > > departments were involved. This person did
> not
> > > know the motive. They also confirmed that all
> > > crossings in Ashland were blocked, that the
> > fire
> > > truck from Ashland VFD had to go about 3
> miles
> > > north of town to find an unblocked crossing.
> > They
> > > only got about halfway to the accident site
> > before
> > > they were told to return to the station since
> > they
> > > were not needed.
> > I am a small CSX share holder and have been for
> > many years (having owned Chessie System Stock
> at
> > one time) and I know that this company, like
> many
> > others across our nation, are trying to squeeze
> > every penny that they can from train
> operations. 
> > This is why these big railroads operate these
> > super long trains with mid train helpers rather
> > than two separate trains which will require the
> > expense of another train crew.  These large
> Wall
> > Street Share Owners like these big Hedge Funds
> and
> > others put a lot of pressure on these companies
> as
> > they want every cent that they can make for
> > themselves, regardless of safety.  Do NOT let
> > them lie to you.  These share owners do not
> care
> > if all the grade crossings in an area are
> > completely blocked, as with this unfortunate
> > incident, however since it took the fire
> > department an excessive amount of time by going
> 3
> > miles north of town trying to get to this
> > accident, this should wake up America that this
> > could have been a disaster if that train had
> > derailed and some highly combustible material
> had
> > caught fire as an example.  Maybe a life could
> > have been lost because the fire engine could
> not
> > make it there fast enough to save someone?  To
> me
> > this is very serious.  Don't get me wrong, as
> a
> > shareholder I enjoy being paid dividends like
> > anyone else.  Yet as a person who is concerned
> > about everyone's safety, I would rather receive
> a
> > smaller dividend payment than to think that my
> > payment was the result of the railroad company
> > saving an extra dollar at the cost of another
> > person's life.  Yes, I truly feel that there
> > should not be any trains over a half mile long
> no
> > matter what.  Sooner or later something
> > disastrous will happen and I pray every day
> that
> > no one losses their lives because of these
> > practices of super long trains to save a few
> > dollars, especially when the big shots of the
> > company receive bonuses.
> > John in White Marsh, Maryland
>
> What does this after to do with a car getting hit?

Indeed....

FWIW, the City Council in Chambersburg, Pa made similar arguments YEARS ago about long CSX trains cutting the town (I say this loosely) in half. The ROW was eventually made into a rail trail.

The bottom line is the trains are not going to get smaller. I see it everyday.

No comment on crossing safety....

Posted from Android



Date: 01/26/23 06:25
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: Lackawanna484

Another case of driver onto the tracks at Ashland. Tuesday pm.

Daylight, rain. Driver was eastbound on England Street. Hesitated then made a right turn onto track 2, the eastern more of two tracks.

The woman got her kid out of the car.

Several bystanders helped push her car over the lip. And on to the side street.

Posted from Android



Date: 01/26/23 18:25
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: justalurker66

I wonder if the latest was using a GPS that had not been updated for the street closure. It seems that a lot of Ashland's victims turn where there could be a road but there isn't.



Date: 01/27/23 06:24
Re: Update on Car/Train collision at Ashland VA 1/15
Author: Lackawanna484

justalurker66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if the latest was using a GPS that had
> not been updated for the street closure. It seems
> that a lot of Ashland's victims turn where there
> could be a road but there isn't.

I've wondered why the powers that be haven't made it more difficult to drive off that cliff. Maybe put rumble strips on the shoulder, etc And a big straight ahead arrow on England street.

Posted from Android



Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2052 seconds