Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Grey Ghost on the Loose

Date: 01/26/23 16:59
Grey Ghost on the Loose
Author: regmacSC

A sign of the possible future is seen here as NS 244 (KCS IDAAT2) is seen coming in to Atlanta, GA, with a KCSM AC44CW leading a CP ES44AC

Shot 1: 244 crossing the Chattahoochie River in to Atlanta.
Shot 2: 244 seen passing the few of us who came out to catch the Grey Ghost leading.
Shot 3: 244 is passing a stopped 187 and an unknown local as they approach Bolton.

Date: 01/26/23 17:04
Re: Grey Ghost on the Loose

These weren't the only catches today, as in all actuality, I was about to leave before hearing 244 was on the way.

Shot 4:  This was my train of the day before 244 arrived.  Still consider it a 1B.  It's train G93 shuttling intermodal to Whitaker in Austell with an ex N&W SD40-2 still equipped with the lovely sounds of a RS5T Horn.
Shot 5 is another one of those intermodal shuttles between Whitaker in Austell and Inman in Atlanta.  This one is G88 with a SD60E running LHF.
Shot 6 was train 174 crossing the Chattahoochie.  This is actually the 2nd 174 to run, as the 1st one this morning had a BNSF ES44C4 leader.

Date: 01/26/23 17:06

Didn't leave CSX out 

Shot 7 is CSX M541-25 making their way south on the "Coastline" heading to the Manchester Sub.
Shot 8 is CSX M515-25 passing Gilstrap heading to the Atlanta Terminal at Pine St. for a crew change.

Date: 01/26/23 19:53
Author: srman

All your images are fantastic with some really nice catches. I really like that fifth shot with the SD60E 7015 running long hood forward. All it needs is a bell on its nose and you would have had a classic early NS (from the Southern and N&W) shot. I spent several hours for a few days at the end of December at Mableton. I see those red semi's are still parked there. 

Date: 01/26/23 20:40
Author: jgilmore

Nice bunch, those standard cabs look a heckuva lot better than that busted-lookin' grey ghost...

JG

Date: 01/27/23 04:10
Author: Vicksburg_Route

Great set of images.  The shot of 7015 in the curve is a killer.  I'll be glad when all the last KCS grey units are repainted.  Those units have been in service 20+ years and they look it.  Fresh paint wouldn't improve performance, but at least they'd look presentable.  Their appearance reminds me of how bad the ICG units looked before the "new" IC emerged.  I think it will be interesting to see what CP+KCS will choose as a new paint scheme, if they decide a new scheme is needed.  I suspect, however, we'll be seeing a horde of fresh red CP units as KCS units are blended into the CP roster.  I'm not a big fan of the current red CP scheme, but their heritage scheme looks quite sharp.

VR Out

Date: 01/27/23 05:13
Author: bobk

Great series!

Date: 01/27/23 07:49
Author: baretables

In the third picture, what is the construction project NS is doing?  Is it an industrial track, yard lead, or new siding?

Date: 01/27/23 14:44
Author: csxt4568

Great pics there Reg. Once congrats on the IOTD

csxt4568

Date: 01/27/23 15:00

baretables Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the third picture, what is the construction
> project NS is doing?  Is it an industrial track,
> yard lead, or new siding?

Building a lead for unloading rail cars of ethanol at Kinder Morgan.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/28/23 11:39
Author: ns1000

Great shots!!

Date: 01/28/23 15:27
Author: PasadenaSub

Great group of photos, both aerial and on the ground.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds