Date: 03/13/23 08:07
Why Are Trains Derailing
Author: pt199

Date: 03/13/23 09:36
Re: Why Are Trains Derailing
Author: ClubCar

pt199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why Are Trains Derailing All Over The Country?
> (msn.com)
As usual, the reporting is very bias especially with the media reporting on trains hitting cars and trucks at railroad crossings and blaming the trains.  We who understand railroading know that in most of these cases, the cause is from the stupid driver who does not stop before crossing tracks where there are only cross buck warning signs, or those that do stupid things like going around the gates and/or ignoring the blinking red lights at crossings as examples, or the real morons who decide to walk on busy railroad tracks with some even deciding to sit or lay down on the tracks, all trespassers.  The media does understand stupid or mentally impaired people who wonder onto busy highways, etc. however, the media just does not understand railroading for the most part.  These people truly need to be educated on rail safety.  And the media needs to realize that one cannot fix stupid.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 03/13/23 09:52
Author: raytc1944

I believe the "1000" derailments is a red herring.  I have forgotten the exact dollar amount but there is a dollar .
number that requires a derailment to be reported to the FRA.  Many of the so called 1000 derailments are of no consequence to anybody but the railroad.  The damages are mainly the companies' own property (cars, locos, track, etc ).  There are also derailments caused by nature and at grade crossings by fool drivers.  Railroads are a huge industry that runs hundreds of trains per day with no problems.  So, unfortunately there never be a year with zero derailments.

Date: 03/13/23 10:05
Author: aehouse

Because the wheels leave the rails.

Date: 03/13/23 10:22
Author: pdt

aehouse Wrote:
> Because the wheels leave the rails.
I was gonna say....

Why do ppl steal money from banks?   'Cause the banks wont give it to them.

Date: 03/13/23 10:32
Author: Juniata

raytc1944 Wrote:
> I believe the "1000" derailments is a red herring.
>  I have forgotten the exact dollar amount but
> there is a dollar .
> number that requires a derailment to be reported
> to the FRA.  Many of the so called 1000
> derailments are of no consequence to anybody but
> the railroad.  The damages are mainly the
> companies' own property (cars, locos, track, etc
> ).  There are also derailments caused by nature
> and at grade crossings by fool drivers.
>  Railroads are a huge industry that runs hundreds
> of trains per day with no problems.  So,
> unfortunately there never be a year with zero
> derailments.

The reporting threshold is adjusted annually. Not certain what it is this year but, would guess it’s close to $11,000.

CW

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/13/23 12:14
Author: mttrainman1

The articles talas about USDerailments but could not even take the time to find a derailment picture from the US? Soon as I saw the picture, I figured it was a hit piece.

Date: 03/13/23 12:23
Author: CPMorris

Also, "Palestine, Ohio" instead of "East Palestine." Sloppy reporting.
Yes, well, sometimes they take a break from the usual anti-Trump stories.

Date: 03/13/23 13:55
Author: cbelke

The current FRA reporting threshold is $11,300.00.  Doesn't take much of a derailment to hit that number.  Right from the regs:

=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)REPORTABLE DAMAGE:=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px) =calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)Includes:
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)-=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px) =calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)Labor costs and all other costs to repair or replace in kind, damaged on-track
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)equipment, signals, track, track structures (including bridges or tunnels), and
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)roadbed. Labor costs include hourly wages, transportation costs, and hotel
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)expenses, but not fringe benefits or overhead.
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)-=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px) =calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)Rental and/or operation of machinery such as cranes and bulldozers, including
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)the services of contractors to replace or repair the track right-of-way and
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)associated structures.
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)-=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px) =calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)Costs associated with the repair or replacement of roller bearings on units that
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)were derailed or submerged in water (replacement costs include the labor costs
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)resulting from a wheel set change out).
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)It does NOT include:
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)-=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px) =calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)The cost of clearing a wreck; however, additional damage to the above listed
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)items caused while clearing the wreck should be included in your damage
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)estimate.
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)-=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px) =calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)Damage to trailers/containers on flat cars (considered lading); however, damage
=calc(var(--scale-factor)*12.00px)to a flat car carrying a trailer/container is included

Date: 03/13/23 20:02
Author: Curt

MSN strikes again...  No wonder their ratings continue to tank.

Date: 03/13/23 20:57
Author: ChicagoCoyote

That article took 90 seconds of my life away from me that I'll never get back.

Date: 03/13/23 21:45
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Why? Always the same reasons why:
Mass, Gravity and Velocity squared.

Date: 03/14/23 13:55
Author: willobi

It's called lack of maintenance and greed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0885 seconds