Home Open Account Help 404 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Two former demonstrator units reunited (OC)

Date: 03/16/23 13:38
Two former demonstrator units reunited (OC)
Author: EL833

The next day dawned bright and sunny after my snowy adventures the day before, so I headed to Zanesville, Ohio to pay a visit to an operation I've ignored too long- the Ohio Central's ZVL turn to Cambridge and back. Back to back GE "Super 7" units are the norm on this train, and with their demise on the horizon I figured I'd better get down there sooner than later. Ohio Central 4093 and Providence and Worcester 2216 would be the power for the day, a nice reunion of the two former Super 7 demo units. Now the ex Conrail GEs have been in front of my camera since Monongahela days, but I've always liked the looks of them, especially in OC colors. The 2216 was my main goal as this was one of the Super 7s that didn't come via the MGA/CR and I've never had the chance to photograph it before. Here are a few from the chase, and some of the locations are approximates, best I could guess using maps, corrections welcome.

ZVL working at Zanesville putting their train together.
 Near Norwich, Ohio.
 Working at Cambridge next to the former Union Station (B&O and PRR) and freight house.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/23 13:48 by EL833.

Date: 03/16/23 13:41
Re: Two former demonstrator units reunited (OC)

Now a few of the westbound move back to Zanesville....

Two in the New Concord area
Coming into Sonora, Ohio.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 03/16/23 13:47

ZVL passing along the trail at Riverside Park in Zanesville
And finally both the morning and afternoon photos at the same crossing near Pleasant Grove.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 03/16/23 17:00
Author: refarkas

Wonderful set.
Bob

Date: 03/16/23 17:46
Author: NiagaraMike

Neat stuff-Thanks

Date: 03/17/23 04:57
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice series.

Date: 03/17/23 05:21
Author: Roadjob

Cool series! I agree that the OC paint scheme is impressive, and looks right at home on a GE standard cab.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 03/17/23 07:23
Author: Gonut1

Nice series of photos.
I wandered through Zanesville once, back in the Eighties, hoping to see something interesting rail-wise but didn't see much. The reason for the trip didn't allow time to explore. As a kid I saw a photo of and was fascinated by the three-way road bridge there but I didn't even see that!
Gonut

Date: 03/17/23 12:27
Author: CR900945

Roger, a couple of us are going to Zanesville next week.  That so-called railroad tunnel under U.S. 40 west of Cambridge- Is it actually a long culvert?  Wondering about sight lines.  Any advice?  Thank you for the outstanding pictures.

Date: 03/17/23 13:11

CR900945 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger, a couple of us are going to Zanesville next
> week.  That so-called railroad tunnel under U.S.
> 40 west of Cambridge- Is it actually a long
> culvert?  Wondering about sight lines.  Any
> advice?  Thank you for the outstanding pictures.

You are welcome ! It's a tunnel, looks to be about 10-12 cars long. Good sight lines, just a short walk but you'll be shooting from the shadow side but with good nose light. I missed the tunnel photo due to some city street construction. By the time I got to the pull off the lead unit was just exiting the tunnel...ugh. Sounds like the ZVL works to Cambridge M-W-F....good luck !

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 03/18/23 14:58
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

Date: 04/06/23 06:24
Author: CR900945

We got there on 03/24 for eastbound and westbound shots of the turn from Zanesville to Cambridge.   The overcast weather was better than forecasted as rain held off much of the time.  I did fine with digital video.  We were able to get the westbound coming out of the tunnel by parking at a small access drive off U.S. 40. Locomotives looked good considering their age.  Appreciate the details from Roger.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1331 seconds