Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > P87's final weeks hauling woodchips

Date: 03/26/23 16:50
P87's final weeks hauling woodchips
Author: Asheville_G

With the news that the Canton mill (Pactiv) will be shutting down late in the 2nd quarter of 2023 I decided to head out and document the NS local that supplies woodchips to said mill.  I've photographed this local probably thousands of times, so...why not a few more.

Photo #1:  P87 accelerates through the signals at the 107 near Old Fort.

Photo #2:  P87 passes stored spine cars in the Old Fort siding.

Photo #3:  P87 passes through Jarrett's Tunnel.

Date: 03/26/23 16:56
Re: P87's final weeks hauling woodchips
Author: Asheville_G

Photo #4:  P87 passing through Old Fort (eastbound) with empty chips and car for Auria in Old Fort on the head end.

Photo #5:  Snow falls on the highest ridge tops of the Blue Ridge as P87 climbs the loops.

Thanks for looking!

Grady McKinley
Asheville, NC

Date: 03/26/23 17:07
Author: bravesfan

Grady, great shots on another move we used to take for granted.  Jarrett Tunnel is a good photo location.  Years ago, I got ahead of 66E(?) chip train, was able to park the car and ran to the top of tunnel just in time to peel off a bunch of slides.

Date: 03/26/23 17:20
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

Date: 03/26/23 17:42
Author: Notch7

Thanks for the awesome set of pics.  Chips and pulpwood were long a good part of the Asheville line's traffic.

Date: 03/26/23 19:39
Author: jgilmore

Terrific bunch, these angles prove you know the territory well...

JG

Date: 03/27/23 03:38
Author: dschlegel

Good stuff, I’ve always wanted to fan that area.

Had I known about the rail operations when I was in the military down south during the mid 90’s I definitely would’ve checked it out.

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/27/23 04:20
Author: 148Fireman

One thing to add to this post, would be to take a ride through the Hendersonville, NC area.  Most of Blue idge Southern sidings are filled with empty chip hopers.  I wonder what will become of them after the plant is closed for good.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0746 seconds