Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Old Ft. Mcclellan

Date: 05/31/23 09:48
Old Ft. Mcclellan
Author: FishinJeeper

I recently had to spend a few weeks at the Center for Domestic Preparedness (CDP), a FEMA training facility located in Anniston Alabama which used to be the old Ft. Mcclellan.  Pretty amazing training facility they have now, with some of the most realistic scenarios that can be provided.  While leaving the base to try Cooter Browns BBQ, I noticed this RR bridge/spur.   It would have been neat to see the RR switch this base, there was quite a railway there at one point. Does anyone have any photos of RR at Ft. Mcclellan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/23 09:50 by FishinJeeper.

Date: 05/31/23 12:14
Re: Old Ft. Mcclellan
Author: ctillnc

Ft McClellan was served by Southern from their Anniston-Rome line which was originally part of the Selma, Rome & Dalton. The Rome end of the line went byebye first. The Anniston end was progressively cut back until Ft McClellan no longer needed shipments about 15 years ago. 

Note that the Anniston Army Depot, 10 miles from Ft McClellan, is very much alive. The NS Atlanta-Birmingham main line runs right through it. Once upon a time the L&N also reached this vicinity. 

Date: 05/31/23 12:29
Author: ts1457

I'd like to see dispatcher train sheets for WWII. I think most traffic would have come in via Anniston. I wonder if a Mobile Div. crew had to handle the part between Annisiton and the base?

I, too, would like to see pictures.

Date: 05/31/23 12:42
Author: ns2557

ctillnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ft McClellan was served by Southern from their
> Anniston-Rome line which was originally part of
> the Selma, Rome & Dalton. The Rome end of the line
> went byebye first. The Anniston end was
> progressively cut back until Ft McClellan no
> longer needed shipments about 15 years ago. 
>
> Note that the Anniston Army Depot, 10 miles from
> Ft McClellan, is very much alive. The NS
> Atlanta-Birmingham main line runs right through
> it. Once upon a time the L&N also reached this
> vicinity. 

Isn't Anniston the new home for the US Army/USAF Locomotive fleet. The one that was moved from Hill AFB in Ogden? Ben

Date: 05/31/23 16:23
Author: callum_out

Yes
Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds