Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Smoke in da 'Nati

Date: 07/16/23 20:17
Smoke in da 'Nati
Author: tq-07fan

The Canadian Wildfires have created some smokey days here in Cincinnati, today was one of them. After work I drove up to Mt Echo Park. Coming back down the hill I got behind a pickup riding their brakes which timed me out almost perfectly to stop on the Sixth Street Viaduct for the first picture. I had come down the hill as I heard CSX M541 getting ready to start towards central KY. I got to Gest and Third Street and found something was lined up coming from Kentucky so to Longworth Hall I went. 
1) This is not a shot you sit and wait for. There is a large area striped off on the Sixth Street Viaduct to safely pull out of traffic though. The train is on the approach to the former Southern / CNOT&P bridge to Kentucky. This is part of the CIncinnati Southern that has been in the news. 3:15 pm
2) CSX M541 which will head down the Corbin Sub. The parking lot is Longworth Hall which is a former Baltimore and Ohio Freight House. 3:30 pm
3) Coming across the bridge from Kentucky is a Hertzog train with M541 passing the back and downtown Cincinnati behind and I-75 above. 3:35 pm

Date: 07/16/23 20:18
Re: Smoke in da 'Nati
Author: tq-07fan

I drove over to Kentucky and got stopped by the light at the end of the Clay Wade Bailey / C&O Bridge so there was no point in chasing M541 south. Instead I turned around went up I-75 to Mitchell Ave where I could see the headlight of something on the Dayton District in the far distance. A CSX local (L425 I think) called the signal for the Head On Connection as I drove under it but I continued to Beech Street just across the border in St Bernard Ohio. The NS I had seen from the freeway was stopped clear of the crossing, waiting on the CSX local. Waiting on them was an I&O CSX Interchange Job. I shot the I&O, turned around and by that time the NS had been given the go ahead to start toward Gest Street. It was then to get other stuff done!
4) NS on the former Conrail/PC/NYC/Big4 Dayton District with part of the Proctor and Gamble Complex in the background. 3:57 pm
5) Indiana and Ohio CSX Interchange waiting on the former B&O Cumberland to St Louis Mainline at NA Tower. 3:58 pm
6) Looking west on Beech Street at the NS in picture 4 with the St Bernard Soap Company which is a subsidiary of Proctor and Gamble in the background. 3:59 pm

Thank you for looking!

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds