Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "Railfanning Northwest of Harrisburg"

Date: 09/16/23 10:59
"Railfanning Northwest of Harrisburg"
Author: cinder

Not to be confused with the hit song "Rich Men North of Richmond"   I have two free days next week to railfan the Harrisburg area while my wife attends a Christian conference in Camp Hill (Harrisburg).  She insisted on a Comfort Inn while I preferred the Bridgeview B&B. Needless to say, God won!

The weather forecast is very good so I plan to spend at least one day driving northwest along the Juniata River fanning the NS Pittsburgh Line.

1.  Which AAR channels should I monitor?
2.  Within an hour's drive, where can I get above the tracks without a drone?
3.  What is the most scenic spot to view trains within an hour's drive?

Any other advice/information is welcome.  I have created a simple bumper sticker for the wives of all you husbands who like trains as much as I do.  The wording is not my own, however.

Date: 09/16/23 11:40
Re: "Railfanning Northwest of Harrisburg"
Author: pennsy3750

If you're feeling brave, the bridge just south of Duncannon that carries Route 11/15 over Sherman's Creek, overlooks the NS bridge over same.  I stood on the shoulder of 11/15 many moons ago to shoot an NS train and nobody bothered me; someone local would have to chime in about the advisability of doing so now.

Route 11/15 above the Enola engine terminal is cool too; you're still standing on the shoulder of the road, but its a somewhat safer location to do so, with much less of a "highway" feel to it than Duncannon.  A quick check of Google Earth reveals that this has grown in some since my last visit, but you could probably find (or make?) a gap in the brush.

There's also the River Road bridge at the north end of Enola yard; last I knew, it still had camera ports in the fences.  Not the most scenic location by any means, but at least the road is pretty quiet.

Depending on when you're around, check to see if the Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine association has their 0-6-0 fired up.

And finally, Google Maps says you could make the drive to Strasburg in just under the one hour that you specified.  If you're flexible on the hour drive, the East Broad Top and the B&O Museum are well within striking distance as well.

Date: 09/16/23 11:53

And here's a bumper sticker for all you unmarried rail fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/23 13:30 by cinder.

Date: 09/16/23 15:30
Author: ns2557

pennsy3750 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're feeling brave, the bridge just south of
> Duncannon that carries Route 11/15 over Sherman's
> Creek, overlooks the NS bridge over same.  I
> stood on the shoulder of 11/15 many moons ago to
> shoot an NS train and nobody bothered me; someone
> local would have to chime in about the
> advisability of doing so now.
>
 Unless it's changed you dont have to do this, unless ya want more foreground/background in shot. Get off the 11/15 on Duncannon's south end and take the first left onto South Main Street. Continue on S Main til ya cross Sherman Creek. Take the first left,  after crossing the bridge, which goes under 11/15. Dirt/gravel road, used to be how ya got to View Tower. Park on side and walk towards the river. A shot opens up of the bridge over Shermans Creek. Perhaps a little tighter angle but ya get the bridge/river in shot. But no crazy activity in dealing with cars on the 11/15 bridge.

Also, in the same general area. At north end of Duncannon go west on PA 849. You will come across Losh's Run Road, a right turn (Within no more than perhaps 2-4 miles or so). Follow this north. Tracks will be to the right. There are a few roads that take off towards the river along Losh's Run where you can get some decent shots thru the valley back there. Aqueduct is back this way. Losh's Run Rd eventually becomes Lower Bailey Road which eventually leads to Newport. If ya just want to listen and watch, that Juniata River Valley back here offers some great sounds and views along the river.  Good Luck, Ben

Date: 09/16/23 16:29
Author: bigsavage

ns2557 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pennsy3750 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you're feeling brave, the bridge just south
> of
> > Duncannon that carries Route 11/15 over
> Sherman's
> > Creek, overlooks the NS bridge over same.  I
> > stood on the shoulder of 11/15 many moons ago
> to
> > shoot an NS train and nobody bothered me;
> someone
> > local would have to chime in about the
> > advisability of doing so now.
> >
>  Unless it's changed you dont have to do this,
> unless ya want more foreground/background in shot.
> Get off the 11/15 on Duncannon's south end and
> take the first left onto South Main Street.
> Continue on S Main til ya cross Sherman Creek.
> Take the first left,  after crossing the bridge,
> which goes under 11/15. Dirt/gravel road, used to
> be how ya got to View Tower. Park on side and walk
> towards the river. A shot opens up of the bridge
> over Shermans Creek. Perhaps a little tighter
> angle but ya get the bridge/river in shot. But no
> crazy activity in dealing with cars on the 11/15
> bridge.
>
>  Also, in the same general area. At north end of
> Duncannon go west on PA 849. You will come across
> Losh's Run Road, a right turn (Within no more than
> perhaps 2-4 miles or so). Follow this north.
> Tracks will be to the right. There are a few roads
> that take off towards the river along Losh's Run
> where you can get some decent shots thru the
> valley back there. Aqueduct is back this way.
> Losh's Run Rd eventually becomes Lower Bailey Road
> which eventually leads to Newport. If ya just want
> to listen and watch, that Juniata River Valley
> back here offers some great sounds and views along
> the river.  Good Luck, Ben
Just be careful of poison ivy in there, as I found out on a 1995 trip.
The EB coal train was shot there 25 years ago this month, same day as this EB Stack at Losh's Run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/23 16:31 by bigsavage.

Date: 09/16/23 19:34
Author: Conrail99

I always liked the bridge over the Juniata and NS at Thompsontown. That is about 35 to 45 minutes west of Harrisburg.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/17/23 09:48
Author: birdman

Thompsontown is a good spot with little vehicle traffic.  Go west on route 322 toward Newport and Lewistown.  Go past Newport about 8 mles and take the Thompsontown exit.  Left at end of ramp,  Right at T intersection and go 1/2 mile into center of small town.  Left on local route 333 at town center to bridge over railroad.  Continue on for another mile or so until road parallels the track.  Light is good for most of the day for shooting in both directions.  Frequency is 160.860.  Watch your speed on route 322.  it is heavily patrolled.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/23 09:50 by birdman.

Date: 09/17/23 12:07

Thanks pennsy3730, ns2557, bigsavage, Conrail99 & birdman.  All useful info and suggestions.  

But just a couple more questions:

1.  At what mileposts are the detectors between Lewistown and Marysville?
2.  What are the mileposts for the major towns between Lewistown and Marysville?

Date: 09/17/23 13:48
Author: onblock

1. Talking HBD/DED detectors at mileposts  162.3, 155.9, 143.0, 131.7, 122.6;  talking high car detector at 113.9.
2. Small towns are (west to east) Mifflin, Port Royal, (village of) Mexico, Thompsontown, Millerstown, Newport, Duncannon.
  Beware that the Route 75 bridge across the tracks at Port Royal is currently out of service.
If you are in the habit of listening to scanner feeds, there is one to the west which basically covers Mifflin County, and there is a Harrisburg Terminal feed which allows you to track westbounds.

Date: 09/17/23 14:38
Author: bigsavage

Book's Farm Crossing is marked by this sign on PA333 in the village of Tuscarora.
SIP 148.7 box is at the crossing
This place is on the way from Thompsontown.

Date: 09/17/23 18:28
Author: birdman

There is a macdonalds and a Giant food market at the Newport exit. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0769 seconds