Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > RJ Cormans's Raleigh & Fayetteville Railroad

Date: 02/06/24 15:04
RJ Cormans's Raleigh & Fayetteville Railroad
Author: RailRyder

Here are a few shots of the Raleigh & Fayetteville Railroad, one of RJ Corman's newest! This was ex-NS, exx-Southern, exxx-Norfolk Southern. All pictures are taken in the Raleigh, Fuquay-Farina and Fayetteville areas yesterday and today.

-Jim Fetchero

Date: 02/06/24 15:06
Re: RJ Cormans's Raleigh & Fayetteville Railroad

A few more RJC shots.

Date: 02/06/24 15:07

Nothing like some good street trackage!

-Jim

Date: 02/06/24 15:09

Hillsboro Street, Fayetteville, NC

-Jim

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/06/24 15:51
Author: refarkas

Keep up the great work.
Bob

Date: 02/06/24 16:24
Author: ewlanctot

That second photo is fantastic.

Date: 02/06/24 17:12
Author: wabash2800

Very nice and street running to boot!

I always liked the colors but could never get with what looks like a mustache or lips on the nose from a distance. But that is just my opinion. I lived in what was known as Fort Bragg and also Fayettville in the 1960s.

It's nice to to see that many tracks at the junction in Raleigh.

Thanks again

Victor Baird

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/24 07:11 by wabash2800.

Date: 02/06/24 19:26
Author: boejoe

ewlanctot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That second photo is fantastic.
>  
Indeed!  Photographer Jim has done a fine job but some interesting locations should have been identified.  This second shot is Boylan Interlocking in Raleigh, not far from Union Station.  Train is on tracks of original Norfolk Southern probably headed to nearby Glenwood Yard crossing rails used by CSX, NS, Amtrak and North Carolina DOT which operates passenger service between Raleigh and Charlotte.  That service has Amtrak crews but NCDOT equipment.  The main tracks are NS with CSX trackage rights between here and Cary NC.  (former Seaboard and Southern Rwy)  The new R&F brings some welcomed additional color to the scene.
jb
p.s. 8569 is a former Tunnel Motor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/24 19:28 by boejoe.

Date: 02/06/24 19:38
Author: Gonut1

Hah!
 Fayetteville, NC. I did Army Basic Training at Fort Bragg in spring of 1967 and was fascinated by what little bit I was able to catch of the area's rail action. I caught roadside rails moving tank cars of jet fuel to Pope AFB. I missed so much more that was going on. Needless to say my Uncle kept me well occupied for 8 weeks! My buddy and I did get a weekend pass after 7 weeks of the intensive pre-Viet Nam training, and we caught a bus into Fayetteville for what we hoped to be a treat. Being from the Philadelphia, PA area we hoped to enjoy a much missed pizza and beer. The first thing we encountered was walking into a segregated bar. Bluntly, we were not of the proper color. Not desiring to make an issue we ordered a beer, drank them and moved on. Then we found a Fayetteville "Pizzaria". This sure looked good! What we were dished up was something akin to ketchup on toast with a sprinking of cheese of some sort. Sad to say we were almost happy to return to Fort Bragg that afternoon!
Now long ago and far away, my Buddy, "Piggy" has passed. My military memories weren't far from my Sea Scouting experiences back then and later when my sons were on their road as Boy Scouts to Eagle Scouts, I was a Scoutmaster. I'll sum it all up as the military basic training was very similar to Boy Scouting except we were taught how to kill people, up close and personal.
Gonut

Date: 02/06/24 19:50
Author: boejoe

I believe the Fayetteville rail scene in Gonut's time was ACL (SCL?), original Norfolk Southern, Aberdeen & Rockfish and Cape Fear RR.
jb

Date: 02/06/24 19:56
Author: Gonut1

Sounds right BoeJoe, but when I checked out the internet back then I didn't find any info. Sure is different today.
Go

Date: 02/06/24 22:20
Author: weather

I think the tunnel motor is a lomng way from whewre it worked when it came from EMD.

Date: 02/08/24 12:01
Author: mp208

Railrider...what time does RJC usually come across Boylan interlocking?

Date: 02/08/24 15:06

mp208 Wrote:
> Railrider...what time does RJC usually come across Boylan interlocking?

Oh I would say northbound anywhere from 9 am to noon, depending on business. Once they finish up at Raleigh's Glenwood Yard they turn south again through Boylan, but that can vary wildely. I am sure others may have a better idea then I.

Date: 02/09/24 08:31
Author: mp208

Thanks Jim...nice post

Date: 02/09/24 13:21
Author: scraphauler

Gonut1 Wrote:
> Sounds right BoeJoe, but when I checked out the
> internet back then I didn't find any info. Sure is
> different today.
> Go

Even the names are different today - Still serves the same basic functions, still have tens of thousand of troops and civilian employees.  One name changed for political correctness, one name changed for BRAC. 

Date: 02/10/24 04:25
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Jim, it seems you really lucked into the street running unless something has changed on when they run into Fayetteville. My understanding is an evening crew takes the train south from Fuquay-Varina to work the south end and is typically back into FV before sunrise. To get the street running in light like that, the south crew would have been relieved by the north crew first thing in the morning. Is that an accurate assessment of how things are still running? Thanks for posting the photos and info you have already!

Mike Derrick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0687 seconds