Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Carolina Coastal Railway

Date: 02/07/24 15:12
Carolina Coastal Railway
Author: RailRyder

Today I was able to visit the Carolina Coastal Railway and their early morning train #120 which runs M-F from Wilson, NC to Chocowinity, NC and return. Also seen were trains #119, the Pinetown to Choco turn and train #114 from Wilson in the evenings westbound. Pictured is their newest two locos, one of which is painted in their orignial Norfolk Southern Railway heritage paint scheme. Their trackage is all original Norfolk Southern (not the modern day PSR plagued NS). I was lucky with the red heritage unit leading most of the day! That was a pleasant surpise!

You just can't beat that Carolina Blue Sky in the winters!

-Jim Fetchero

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/24 15:12 by RailRyder.

Date: 02/07/24 15:13
Re: Carolina Coastal Railway

For more info on the railroad see:  https://www.regional-rail.com/carolina-coastal-railway/

Date: 02/07/24 15:15

Here are a couple of their older units in the blue and red paintscheme.

Date: 02/07/24 15:16

Here is a pre-dawn video as the train races to great the sun.

-Jim Fetchero

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/07/24 15:37
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos from a part of the country that my late father grew up in. 

Rich (in CA)

Date: 02/07/24 17:32
Author: boejoe

Nice album.  Thanks Jim.
jb

Date: 02/07/24 17:57
Author: refarkas

Well done - First-class set of photos.
Bob

Date: 02/07/24 18:20
Author: srman

Excellent catch and shots. Later this summer I hope to catch these newer units when my family vacations at Topsail Beach.  

Date: 02/07/24 18:53
Author: Gonut1

Nice! I always thought the original NS was such an interesting railroad. However when they were still NS it was so much more difficult to obtain much information on railroading, especially regional lines like NS. How can anyone mot be intrigued by a railroad with a nearly 4 mile wooden trestle across the Albemerle Sound and Baldwin road switchers on the roster!
Gonut

Date: 02/09/24 07:02
Author: ctillnc

If Southern merges with MoPac in the 1970s, then maybe today's NS doesn't happen. The original NS might still be an important route for freight into Norfolk -- that's why Southern acquired it -- and the Albemarle Sound trestle would still be in place. Who can say. 

Date: 02/09/24 12:07
Author: sync

That paint scheme looks really good on the ole GP15.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds