Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Delaware Lackawanna SC-7 Friday 2/6

Date: 02/18/24 20:46
Delaware Lackawanna SC-7 Friday 2/6
Author: sscannella

Had a mini-chase of Delaware-Lackawanna SC-7 (Scranton-Carbondale turn) on Friday afternoon 2/16.  First time I've been north to Scranton for several months.   There was a fair amount of snow on the ground for much of the drive north from Harrisburg, but oddly, from Scranton north the 3 inches they had received on Tuesday had melted already. 

Nonetheless, a three 4-axle Alco power set in Genesse Valley transportation corporate colors still was a welcome subject to spend a couple hours with Friday afternoon.   I just missed their departure from Carbondale, where they delivered more frac sand loads to the Linde Corporation's transload facility at the site of the former Carbondale D&H yard, and then departed with 6 empty frac "shortie" covered hoppers and one borax empty.   They had a pick-up of 1 empty centerbeam from the lumber transload site in Archbald, so I decided to intercept there.   After that, I caught them coming through Jessup a few miles to the south.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/18/24 20:52
Re: Delaware Lackawanna SC-7 Friday 2/6

Olyphant was the next point of interest on the trek south as they approach one of 4 crossings of the Lackawanna River on the former D&H route between Scranton and Carbondale.

Date: 02/18/24 20:56

My next location was the levee along the Lackawanna River in North Scranton at Parker St.   This is the first time I photographed a southbound here.  

A short distance ahead is the former D&H Green Ridge Yard, where they had about 30 empty cars stashed there to be picked-up and brought down to NS's Taylor Yard for interchange. 

Date: 02/18/24 21:00

I broke away for a bit while they were making their pick-up, but grabbed a couple shots of them after pulling out at the north end of the Steamtown Wye - part of the Lackawanna / EL route through Scranton west of Bridge 60.  At this point they were starting their shove move of about a mile down to the north end of Taylor Yard on what is now the NS's Sunbury Line) where they would do their interchange work. 

Date: 02/19/24 03:54
Author: Pattenburg

Enjoyed all your photos, especially from Olyphant, my father's hometown.

Date: 02/19/24 07:01
Author: perklocal

Looks like a very rewarding chase to me. Also looks like a very well maintained and cared for fleet of Alcos as well. Great Post ! 

Date: 02/19/24 07:48
Author: Gonut1

A lot of nice looks at the D-L Alco fleet. Seeing photos from along that stretch of track always reminds me of photos from steam days when bunches of D&H and NY&O engines were shoving coal trains north out of the Wilkes-Barre, Scranton area and how today there is hardly a scrap of evidence that this was a major coal mining region.
Thanks for the post.
Gonut

Date: 02/22/24 20:44
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice pics and video of this train!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.082 seconds