Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Monday Meet: Pleasant Valley, VA

Date: 02/19/24 14:17
Monday Meet: Pleasant Valley, VA
Author: gcw

Today NS V93, which works the Chesapeake Western branch from Elkton to Harrisonburg VA, had a string of cars for interchange with the Shenandoah Valley Railroad. The exchange takes place at Pleasant Valley, just south of Harrisonburg. I had followed V93 from Shenandoah, VA (more on that later) and was able to catch them heading for Pleasant Valley. I got there just ahead of V93, but there was no sign of the SVRR. I was waiting for V93's locomotive to come up to the old B&O depot, when I turned around and there they were.

1. V93's locomotive has set off the cars for pickup and is heading for the siding next to the depot.

2. Lining the switch for the siding.

3. DGVR 6512, a GP9 originally belonging to B&O and now painted for B&O (sort of), approaches the interchange. Durbin and Greenbrier Valley has the contract to operate the SVRR.

more to follow...

Date: 02/19/24 14:21
Re: Monday Meet: Pleasant Valley, VA

4. NS and SVRR meet.

5. DGVR 6512 has coupled to its cars and has just opened the throttle.

6. SVRR on its way south.

Thanks for looking.
Glenn

Date: 02/19/24 16:31
Author: Tominde

B&O 6512 yeah sorta B&O paint.  It almost looks like a very faded B&O geep.  But it begs for somebody with some darker B&O blue in rattle cans from Advance Auto to hit it up.   Take that back.  Bad idea.  Let the pros do it.     Nice catch, and thanks for sharing.   

Date: 02/19/24 17:47
Author: stevelv

Nice coverage.  The DGVR has some neat operations in VA and WV.  Here is the 6512 on a dreary day on Dec 26, 2023 in Staunton, VA.  I quickly noticed the difference in work attire between NS and the shotline in your photos.

Date: 02/19/24 20:32
Author: MacBeau

A sixty-six year old GP9 still lettered for its original owner and number out doing what it was built for—how cool is that? Thanks for the look.
—Mac 

Date: 02/20/24 04:23

MacBeau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A sixty-six year old GP9 still lettered for its
> original owner and number out doing what it was
> built for—how cool is that? Thanks for the
> look.
> —Mac 

Not only that, but its doing it on tracks originally owned by the B&O. Granted, the tracks were sold by B&O to the Chesapeake Western years before the GP9 was built, but still....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds