Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Reading & Northern question

Date: 02/21/24 11:11
Reading & Northern question
Author: gg1tim

I understand that Steamtown several month's ago sold the 2  ex Reading FP-7A's to an operator in New Jersey. I am wondering if the R&N made an offer for these 2 engines as it seems they would fit very well with their freight and excursion trips. It just  seems strange that they did not get these 2 units so I hope someone has some info why an outfit in NJ managed to get them.
Thanks in advance for any info.
gg1tim

Date: 02/21/24 12:02
Re: Reading & Northern question
Author: dschlegel

I don’t believe the units were sold, they’re owned if I am correct by historical societies (Reading Tech owns one).

They’re simply on Lon to the operator in NJ.

Feel free to correct me.

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/21/24 12:08
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Some (but not all) of the questions are answered here--

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/reading-fp7-sold-to-sms-lines/

Posted from Android

Date: 02/21/24 13:06
Author: chuchubob

Photographed at SMS last Saturday, Feb 17.

Date: 02/21/24 13:49
Author: boejoe

Good shot Bob.  Thanks for posting.
jb

Date: 02/21/24 15:58
Author: ALCO630

dschlegel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don’t believe the units were sold, they’re
> owned if I am correct by historical societies
> (Reading Tech owns one).
>
> They’re simply on Lon to the operator in NJ.
>
> Feel free to correct me.
>
> Dan
>
> Posted from iPhone

Leased to the Woodstown Central

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/24 15:58 by ALCO630.

Date: 02/21/24 17:08
Author: PC1073

One was sold, and one was leased. I’m not certain, without looking, which was which. They went to SMS Rail, in New Jersey. They are in more than capable hands, and will be working pulling excursions for their Woodstown Central operation, which is a neat little startup operation.

John R.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/21/24 19:15
Author: bgiaquin

R&N already has the former executive F units operating plus 2 old derelict ones waiting to be restored. Maybe they felt they don't need anymore. They seem to prefer their Geeps for the passenger runs anyways.

Date: 02/22/24 14:10
Author: RDG485

While at Steamtown, and with the units needing major repairs, we could not find a financially feasible way to get them back into and to remain in service, so they were stuck in display mode only..  On the recommendation of an interested party, the RCT&HS approached SMS in 2022 to see if they might be interested in using the units on the Woodstown Central RR.  They were, so representatives from the RCT&HS and the Philly Chapter opened formal discussions with SMS to see if we could find a mutually beneficial way to make that happen.  In the end, the RCT&HS leased the 902 to SMS and the Philly Chapter decided to sell the 903 to SMS.  With the RCT&HS being a collector of historical Reading equipment, and an organization that considers the Reading FP7s of major historical signficance, it's doubtful the RCT&HS will ever give up ownership of the 902.   However, leasing the unit to SMS puts it where major repairs can get done and where the unit can go back into service powering tourist trains.  As for SMS, these units could not be in better hands.  As for the R&N, to my knowledge, they never expressed any interest in using the two units.

Date: 02/23/24 04:34
Author: gg1tim

Thanks for your answer to my question about the two FP-7A units. Too bad they could not be bought by the R&N as they would sure look nice runnig on ex Reading tracks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.095 seconds