Home Open Account Help 201 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSXT 6014 Going Up in Flames in Nashville

Date: 03/11/24 03:23
CSXT 6014 Going Up in Flames in Nashville
Author: funnelfan

CSXT GP40-2 #6014 was the lead unit of two on a job in South Nashville. Looks like it pulled over a switch lined against it with it's lead truck then backed up. That caused the locomotive to travel down two tracks and eventually derail which ruptured the fuel tank. The diesel fuel caught fire and enguled the lead locomotive. No reports of injuries. The switch can be seen to be lined the wrong way in the video.
The way the reporting is, you would think they were talking about electric locomotives. But still there is some merit to the concearns, just not sure why they couldn't find the fuel cutoff button.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/nashville/nashville-first-responders-fighting-train-fire-in-woodbine/

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/11/24 06:18
Re: CSXT 6014 Going Up in Flames in Nashville
Author: rustyr0824

Interesting. I would think this would have been slow speed operations along a yard track. Was the crew not away they had derailed. 
Report was decent enough. The electric she was speaking of would be the generators.  Sorry not getting my wording right.
Thankfully the local departments were able to contain things quickly. So hats off to them.

Date: 03/11/24 06:30
Author: WM_1109

The only thing I see wrong with the report is that AFFF ain't gonna "absorb" spilled diesel fuel. Or anything else, for that matter.
/Ted

Date: 03/11/24 08:02
Author: onblock

The important thing was that the driver was not injured and that they could successfully shut down the engine car. No word on whether or not the chlorine tank car on the adjacent track was loaded.

Date: 03/11/24 08:43
Author: Trainhand

I've never heard of deenergize an engine before.  I guess new a improved word salad for shutting it down. There's a red button on both engines that says "emergency fuel cut off " . Push that and it will eventually deenergize. Granted you may have to get in the cab on the 6000. Somebody from CSX should have been there and pushed the button.

Sam

Date: 03/11/24 15:36
Author: toledopatch

I suspect the word "de-energize" came from whoever was in charge of the scene for the local fire department, and the reporter merely repeated it.

Date: 03/13/24 09:15
Author: alco244

joe bidens next white house press secretary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds